When to brush her teeth

My dd is almost 7 months old and has her two bottom teeth. Well they aren't fully grown, maybe half way. When should I start brushing them? She is eating purées now and has some diluted juice (baby juice). I don't want this to cause a cavity...if that is even possible at her age.
Thanks

MeeShee

Asked by MeeShee at 11:35 AM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can start introducing a toothbrush now. Model it for her. Brush your teeth and encourage her to copy you. Cavities shouldn't be a problem at that age, though. It's really just more for the sake of learning and establishing a routine at this point.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:37 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• You can now with the non fluoride safe to sallow toothpaste. They also have a rubber finger cover to use when cleaning the gums and teeth.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• It is possible to get cavities from the day you get your first tooth... I would start brushing NOW. Make sure you use a very soft and small baby brush with NO toothpaste! Or with infant toothpaste, if you really want.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:38 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I will definately buy that. Thanks for the quick answers.
    MeeShee

Answer by MeeShee at 11:38 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Since my son was about 4 months old we started to rub his gums clean with a damp baby wash cloth. We do this every night. We spend a little longer doing it as he gets more teeth.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 1:18 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Not to sound like I'm bragging but I started brushing all 3 of my kids teeth as soon as they popped out and none of them have ever had any cavities excpet for the oldest (16) just got one. I think it's a good idea to start early also with the gum wiping because it just becomes part of their routine and they tend to not fight oral hygine as much as other kids.
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 2:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2008