50/50 Raffles

I've only seen a few, the raffles where if you win you get half the money taken in.
The first one I saw, I asked if they made much by giving half the money away, and I was told that I probable missed the point of the raffle. I found out later, that when those raffles are done it's expected that the winner will just give the winnings back.
I never won a raffle like that anyhow, but has anyone ever ran into this?
just wondering-

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 6:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Well it depends on where it is done. Around here we have dirt track racing and they do 50/50 there and the track keeps half the money and the winner gets the other half and of course the track makes something on it because the tickets themselves cost VERY little and the people selling them are the same people who are getting paid to walk around and sell other stuff like food and drinks. They are also sold at fundraising things and there the winner often gives at least some of the money back if not all. How much they make of course depends on how many tickets were sold, but if the person selling them was a volunteer (usually the case at fundraiser) then the only cost they incur is the price of the tickets and those are VERY cheap to buy.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:38 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• i have no idea
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 6:27 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• we've done it at work for United way and as far as I know , no one has given it back. United Way got something, They probably got more then just asking for donations.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 6:39 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• They always make something, and it is a REALLY cheap way to raise funds. Basically all it takes is a roll of tickets and some volunteers. You don't have to offer big prizes for first, second, and third place before you know what the raffle will bring in. If you only sell 500 $1 tickets, you know you will get $250 no matter what. And you are right, sometimes people do just donate the money back to the cause.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:30 PM on Mar. 19, 2011