When should you plant pumpkin seeds?

CometGirl

Asked by CometGirl at 6:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I am in IL. Last year we planted ours from seed in the middle of April. We had CRAPLOADS of pumpkins by August I think it was. I determined that if I planted them in July I would have them in time for Halloween. So depending on where you live, right around that time is probably best.
    02_Grey_Mustang

Answer by 02_Grey_Mustang at 2:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Depends on where you live. If you live in the north you can start them inside now. In the south (FL) you are a bit late. Here is a way to germinate them QUICKLY. Moisten a paper towel..not soaking wet just moist. Place it on a plate. Place about 10 seeds on towel and cover with another moist towel. place a plate of the same size UPSIDE down to cover . leave on counter or on top of your refridgerator. in about 3 days the roots will emerge. plant in seed starting mix or potting mix in small pots to transfer to your garden soil later. keep we;; watered and you will have nice pumpkins in about 3 months. Also works well with sunflower seeds and morning glory or any squash. Good luck!
    notjustmom213

Answer by notjustmom213 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• We plant them in late June or early July.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• i would plant them when I plant everything else.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 9:30 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• We started ours recently.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 11:30 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Now is a good time to at least start them. I started all of my seeds this week. My basil and oregano are already starting to germinate.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:41 PM on Mar. 20, 2011