He won't eat off his own plate. :\

My son is two and he won't eat off his own plate. He only wants to eat off me and my hubby's plates. He has the exact same meal as us, he has big boy silverware, we tried putting him at his own big boy table and even letting him sit with us at the big table. Nothing has worked. We didn't really mind until one night last month. We were at my parent's for dinner and he thought it was okay to pick off of aunt Vicky and uncle Johnny's plates. When we tell him no he just gets upset and won't eat at all. How do we get him to eat his own food? We wanna nip this in the bud before family cook out season starts.
Thanks ladies.

MamaStuart

Asked by MamaStuart at 7:02 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Very good question, going thru the exact same thing. We haven't ran into any problems yet though. I'll give you a bump, maybe someone else will have a few ideas for you.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 7:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Simple. Feed him, let him choose to eat off of his own plate or not... don't give him anything else, he'll eat when he is hungry enough- I promise he won't starve.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Don't let him do it anymore. He won't starve himself

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Thanks Obby. I was wondering that myself. My dd is doing the same thing and its frustrating when she only wants to eat off dh or my plate. I hope other moms will take your advice like I will.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 7:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I would just feed him his food and not let him eat mine. He might boycott a few meals, but he won't starve to death
    rachelv817

Answer by rachelv817 at 7:22 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Some of the other mom's beat me to my idea. He can either eat off his own plate or he can not eat. When he gets hungry enough he'll eat. I would also suggest something like: This is MY plate, if you want food eat off YOUR plate, and point to his. He'll figure it out soon enough as long as you're consistent.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I agree with Obby and the others let him eat his food that is on his plate not yours; sit him in your lap maybe and have his plate next to yours
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:29 AM on Mar. 20, 2011