potty training?

i started potty training my 17th month old a couple weeks ago because he seemed ready he would start going in and trying to sit on the potty and would also seem uncomfortable and always want his diaper off. well the first couple weeks he thought it was really fun and now he seems less interested in sitting on the potty and gets upset if you ask him to sit. i also was wondering if you think that huggies pull ups or just regialr training under wear is better to use because i thought pull ups would be a waste of money they dont even feel wet in them and besides he likes wearing big boy undies

kaszilynn88

Asked by kaszilynn88 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's common for interest to come and go, especially when you start them so young.
    Pullups are useful for long trips out when you are not certain where the bathrooms are or if you can get to them in time. But if he's doing ok in undies, leave him in undies.
    Don't ask him if he needs to go. Use a simple kitchen timer. When it goes off, it's time to go sit on the potty. This takes the battle out of it since it is not YOU asking him to go, it's the timer. You can always cheat and set the timer for one minute if you see him starting to do the "I've got to go dance". Don't expect him to go on his own until well after his 2nd birthday.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:25 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My two oldest boys both did the same thing. They were very interested in it at first, then not so much. A couple of months into it, they both announced one day that they were potty trained and that was that. They will do it in their own time, you just have to be patient. Trying to convince them to do it because you want them to never works.
    adoptionsc

Answer by adoptionsc at 3:45 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I know every child is different, but in my case my son was about 19 months when he started showing interest. He did great and actually WAS potty-trained for about 6 weeks. Then one day he just wasn't! There was nothing to trigger it - No changes in our life. I asked his doctor and she just said that boys especially do better if you wait until they are 24 months. So we waited until he turned 2 to re-potty train and he did great! Like I said - every child is different. Hope this helps! :)
    4happykiddos

Answer by 4happykiddos at 8:03 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My oldest was like that. For a while he was even going on the potty, then one day, he refused. That went on for a few weeks, then he was interested again, and started using it. After that, it didn't take long for him to be fully potty trained. My 23 mo old shows interest sometimes... I just keep the potty out in the bathroom, and every once in a while he'll sit on it. I ask, but I don't push him. Seems to make it go backwards if you push it! Although it would be nice to be done with diapers!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 9:01 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• they have the pull ups that make it really cold and uncomfortable for them when they have an accident those worked well with my two year old but my oldest daughter it took buying her big girl underwear and having that first accident and feeling how uncomfortable and wet she was before she decided she didn't want that to happen again and use the potty those two are the better options but in the end its really whatever works best for him and now that the novelty of the potty has wore off he truly may be trying to tell you by getting upset that hes just not ready to potty train yet
    one_white_rose

Answer by one_white_rose at 10:03 PM on Nov. 25, 2008