When did it become the norm to live with your parents until you were close to 25 or 30 years old??

I couldn't wait to get out on my own! I was out a month before my 19th birthday. Whatever happened to the 2-3 young folks getting together and sharing a crappy apartment? What are they doing now,working and buying new cars and fancy toys and having the folks foot the bill for room and board?
We do our jobs as parents. Once they reach 20 or so,they are their own responsibility.
I see alot of them that can go out and make babies,but they can't pay their own rent. Sickening is what it is.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 7:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Relationships

• I love my kids very much but I want them to leave the nest to go to college when they graduate high school.  We hope to give them the life skills so they are capable of living on their own.  I never felt I was raising kids but raising future adults.  I will love my grand kids someday too but don't want them living with me.  Would feel like a failure if my kids failed to launch in life. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I disagree, I think times are different now. Jobs are harder to get and rent rates are higher especially in places where jobs are available. However I think independence should be pushed more these days than it is.
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 7:36 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I moved out when I was 18. My oldest did too....my 2nd child is turning 21, in school, and working and living at home....I am fine with this.....The economy is different now....also circumstances are different.....I see nothing wrong with either solution...I believe in family, and working together and taking care of each other.....it's the way it should be...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Well, in my sisters circumstances (one is 22 and one is almost 19) they are both in college and have jobs in driving distance from my parents house, so my parents want them to stay home to save money. School is expensive! I left at 18 but that was because I married and my husband was in the Navy.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 7:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I moved out when I was 18, still in HS. I lived on my own for like 9 months (well on my own or with room mates, depending on the cost of the apartment), then my boyfriend and I moved in with my parents for a month or so when we moved to another state. We moved out for 8 months and got married, then when we moved BACK to our home state we lived with his mother for about 4 years. Yeah that sucked, but we moved out from my parents house on a credit card so we were up to almost $10,000 in debt when you looked at medical bills, credit cards, wedding rings, etc. Plus a car payment. Everytime things would start going good for us, he would get laid off or have his hours cut. We finally moved out last August, and have been doing pretty good. No more unsecured debt (well only a couple hundred dollars) and he has a good job and I baby-sit at the house. Our finances started going REALLY well when we started tithing 10% of our $$.
    rachelv817

Answer by rachelv817 at 7:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I moved out of my parents house 3 months after I graduated from high school. I was married 4 1/2 months later. My husband was 22. He was working and going to school.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 8:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• i moved out the summer after i graduated. i couldnt wait to leave! my mom and i get along so much better when we live separately.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:36 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I moved out the summer I graduated, and that was at age 17 and never looked back. I can see if, like with my brothers, the kids were in college letting them stay at home, but I just cant imagine a child wanting to be with mom and dad in their adult life!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:39 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Is it the norm? I am so out of it. My boys are still young, so I am still in denial that my little babies will ever leave me. :-)
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 7:40 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I was out 3 months after I turned 18 and got married (we had to live with my parents for 3 months because the apartment we were supposed to be moving into became unavailable, to put it nicely, the day after we got married). I couldn't wait to get out and be my own person, etc. Most of my friends have been out by 20, as well.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2011