Toddler wants to sleep in bed with us...

My 17 month old daughter has for thwe last 2 months been waking up at 3-6 in the morning crying her lungs out . I go get her, she stops crying. ,go to make her a bottle she starts to shriek! while shes in bed with us she stays quiet and then starts to shriek again. I shush her , it work then 20 mins later shes at it again. My husband is a soldier, he just came back from a year long tour in korea,before then he was in training for the first 3 months of her life, ever since she was born shes been sleeping in bed with me. She goes to bed at night in her crib, but gets up at the crack of dawn to be by my side. I love her . And it breaks my heart to hear her cry, and i have tryed to just let her cry, it lasted 2 hours of me just sitting here while my dughter shrieked . I guess my question is, does anyone know how to get the baby to just want to sleep in her bed, and not want to sleep with us? had something similar?

NiekaC

Asked by NiekaC at 11:50 AM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try having dad put her to bed, it worked for me with my two year old. belive it or not they already know they can do whatever they want when its mommy, but with daddy its listen or else..... then once dady makes a routine before to long she will go to sleep when its time to go to sleep. try to have daddy put her back in bed too.... It worked for us, good luck, Oh and dont forget the baby gate either, it seems mean to "lock" them in their room but it does work!
    MamaChamberlain

Answer by MamaChamberlain at 9:12 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My daughter is the same way. We put her in bed at night we have a great routine. After our book and prayer she blows us kisses and waves. It’s so cute. Then 3am almost exactly she’s screaming for us. I have tried reading to her again it works rarely. I honestly have no idea. Maybe laying her down like you’re putting her to bed. Try do to do whatever it is you do to put her to sleep the first time. Best Wishes we are in the same boat.
    Nikkisabella

Answer by Nikkisabella at 12:25 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My bed is most nights has at least one baby in it-- not counting the husband. I sometimes co-sleep with one or both of our twin boys( 4 month old)... My three yr old spends most of the night trying to get int to bed with me, and if the gate is not up my 2 yr old will wake up at 3am and sneak into bed with us to wrestle. The easiest solution for my 2 yr old is the baby gate. If she can not leave her room she self soothes and goes back to sleep.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 5:42 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My 2yr old never wants to sleep in her toddler bed. She puts on a good show at the beginning of the night, she grabs her pillow, blanket and bottle (because she wont sleep without it *sigh*), and gets into bed like a little angel, but soon as we turn out the lights to go to bed ourselves, she sneaks out of bed and starts playing with anything she can get her hands on. Oh sometimes I wake up to a horrible mess. If I put her in my bed she sleeps really well...but I know that I cannot allow her to sleep in my bed so I now stay up until I know she is passed right out, its hard on parents because we lose sleep, but after time, Im hoping she will just get used to sleeping in her own bed. I like that baby gate Idea too, I think Im going to try that one tonight!!
    StaceeLee

Answer by StaceeLee at 7:46 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• she dosnt get out of bed, she cries in the middle of the night till i go get her, and then keeps crying...
    NiekaC

Answer by NiekaC at 11:36 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My son is two and he still ends up in our bed for at least half of the night. The older he gets, the longer he stays in his own bed, so I figure he'll outgrow it eventually. I figure it's better for us to all be well-rested than to struggle with him over something he'll get worked out eventually on his own.
    ashuiren

Answer by ashuiren at 2:12 AM on Nov. 27, 2008