If you are not a Christian, why not?

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 8:38 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Jackie, the same feeling that you say you get via Christianity and a relationship to the creator I would venture to say that I get through my pantheistic view of the divine. There are elements of Christianity that I like, but I simply do not believe in the monotheistic perception of God, or the need for a saviour that dies and is resurrected... it never resonated with me. Asking why I am not a Christian is akin to me asking why you are not a Hindu... presumably that faith does not resonate with you for whatever reason, right?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:34 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Why aren't you Pagan?

Christianity held no truth for me...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:57 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I read the bible... that is all it took

(I am a pagan)
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 10:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Catholic, Methodist, Episcopal, etc. are religions.
    --------------------------------
    No. Those are called DENOMINATIONS of the Christian RELIGION.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• The idea of a higher power or god is illogical to me, they simply cannot exist. , thus I do not follow any belief which worships any god.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I grew up going to a Presbyterian church, but I have never literally believed in a personal, anthropomorphic, creator God. I'm a Pantheist. I also had questions when I was young (around age 12) about Christianity that no one answered in ways that seemed reasonable or logical to me. I think Jesus was probably a wise, enlightened human being, like a Buddha, so I like many of his teachings. I don't believe he was the Messiah or Son of God, I do not believe there was a physical resurrection. For these reasons and many more, I could never be a Pauline Christian. I think there is some value to following Jesus' teachings (minus all the supernatural stuff), but I primarily relate to Buddhism and Taoism, so I consider this my path even if I enjoy learning about other religions and philosophies. I consider science important and believe this is our reality--here and now, so any spiritual path I take must embrace science and reason IMO.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• It's not MY TRUE PATH.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:13 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• There is no evidence Jesus was ever a real person. Jesus does not fit the criteria for the Messiah. Nowhere does Jesus ever say he IS the messiah. The idea that humans are born dirty pieces of shit that need saving is absolutely absurd.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:37 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I do not call myself Christian because I do not just follow Jesus teachings but others as well-those before and after him. I do not believe the bible to be 100% true more or less just stories collected and told to explain the how, why, when and where's of the world. I do not believe that Jesus will come again to judge the world because I do not believe that God takes sides or that he is just sitting up there in the heavens like he is engrossed in the most interesting film. I believe that he created us out of love and and generally would like for us to be good people but giving us the will to choose it is obvious we do not have to.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• After over 25 years of trying to force myself to believe, I took a step back and tried to find something that fit me, instead of trying to force myself to fit into Christianity.... it was a lie. My "belief" was a lie. And I couldn't live a lie anymore
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2011