Toothbrush / toothpaste

does anyone know when to switch over or best time to "transition" a childs toothbrush an tooth paste?

my son still has his first tooth brush an he has grown DEEPLY in love with it.. he needs a new one but wont take it well. he refuses to even have a new one in his mouth.. anyone have any ideas as to making it switch better?

an as for the toothpaste when did you get them a i guess the next step for toothpaste? this is actually really hard to word haha.

akalei

Asked by akalei at 8:39 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Our DD is 21 months old and on trainer toothpaste. From everything I've found "they" recommend switching to training toothpaste at approximately 18 months old til 4 years old. We personally use Orajel Training Toothpaste.

As far as the toothbrush, we started her on one that is made for multi ages. So all we have to do is buy the next step up (I guess it's harder bristles or something) and she is good to go. She has taken well to the transitions.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 8:41 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Thomas the Train toothpaste is proper for preschoolers. I think Orel jel or a similar company makes it. The whole family can get new toothbrushes and he may realize that toothbrushes have to be changed every few months.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:43 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• @ TooToo - Yes, Orajel is the same company that makes our daughters My Little Pony training toothpaste. =)

Toothbrushes should be changed out every 6 months OP.

GL and best wishes!
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 8:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• My ds is 4. He hates brushing his teeth. I am wondering when he will start hiding the toothbrush. My kids never liked the kid's toothpaste. Most toothpastes are too spicy for them at a young age. I use baking soda on their toothbrushes. There is no easy way to change toothbrushes. You just have to do what a parent has to do.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 8:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• you know thats a great idea! maybe changing all our brushes at the same time will make him want the new one! :) thanks
    akalei

Comment by akalei (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• we change out our toothbrushes every 6 months my boys get to choose their favorite character or color(depending on if they are at the dentist or store) and the toothpaste my oldest uses Colgate(same as dad and I) and our 4 year old uses Colgate for Kids
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• at 16 months i did toothpaste and all.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Lynnsae -

The danger of adult toothpaste is the amount of fluoride. In small amounts fluoride is good for them. It is even in most drinking water. But since toddlers are smaller the adult toothpaste may have them consume too much fluoride and make them sick and cause them to vomit and it also stains the teeth.

Children can get fluorosis. Fluorosis generally involves minor discoloration of tooth enamel, such as the appearance of white or opaque lines, streaks or spots. In severe cases, the discoloration may appear as brown, black or gray spots, and the enamel may become pitted or misshapen.

Not to mention fluoride can be poisonous in larger amounts.
    Anonymous

• my son doesn't use adult toothpaste that's just crazy... he uses childrens... he's only 2
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2011