Do you think an earthquake will hit California like its predicted?

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I pray it doesn't happen. All of my family lives in California
    mommyxdos

Answer by mommyxdos at 9:36 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Well, unfortunately earthquake predictions aren't a perfect science. It's a total guesstimate.

***Despite considerable research efforts by seismologists, scientifically reproducible predictions cannot yet be made to a specific day or month. However, for well-understood faults seismic hazard assessment maps can estimate the probability that an earthquake of a given size will affect a given location over a certain number of years. The overall ability to predict earthquakes either on an individual basis or on a statistical basis remains remote.***

I remember even with the recent Japanese quake, they only had about 1 minute of warning per my news channel. Yes, it's scary but that is how much is left up in the air until an actual quake strikes. =(

Unfortunately quakes are a part of living in California. I wish they didn't exist as they're a mighty monster to prepare for. GL to you and your sister.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 8:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Of course it will. Its only a matter of time. According to the USGS. California is LONG over due for a "Big One".
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:41 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Yes, I think it will. No idea when, but they basically average out how much time passes "larger" quakes in different areas. This helps them predict the next "big" quake. So if a specific area experiences a big quake every 5 years and it's been 7, then yes definitely it will be soon. =/ I haven't spent a lot of time researching the California area, but I 100% think California will experience one. =/
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 8:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I'm not worried. I don't live on a fault line, and it really is a matter of time that another big one will hit. They've been predicting The Big One that will cause California to fall into the ocean for decades now. I've grown up hearing about it so the fear is nonexistent for me.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I just asked my husband, who's a geologist what he thought. He said seismology is tough to predict. He said it could very well happen, or all of that pressure built up could break down into a number of smaller earthquakes. It's hard to tell. I myself hope it never happens. At least not in my lifetime. I grew up in Southern CA, as did my husband. Our entire immediate family still lives there. So it certainly worries m.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 10:11 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• they are saying in the next week or so, that worries me because my sister is out there.
    jenn4443

Comment by jenn4443 (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Thanks Razelda, its just a scary thought i guess, i remember years ago when i was 18 and was living in Indiana they swore an earthquate was gonna hit there and had everyone so freaked out, it never happened.
    jenn4443

Comment by jenn4443 (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Mar. 19, 2011