I feel like a chauffeur and I'm sick of it.

My daughter who is 16 is expecting. Neither she nor her boyfriend have both a car and a license (he has a license, she has a car - he is not driving her car). As a result I haul them around - to and from work, to the doctor, to the store, etc. His mom will not take him anywhere, so that is not an option. When they both have a night off they want to go to dinner or the movies or both. I'm just tired of being expected to haul them around on their dates and every time they want to go somewhere. Am I wrong? Should I tell them they can't go out, is there a middle ground somewhere I just don't see?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 9:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• You must have a reason for not allowing him to drive your daughters car and it may be a very good reason. #1 - he should be responsibile enough to get your daughter where she needs to go, whether by public transportation or calling for a taxi.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I felt the same way and now I wish I could chauffeur again!

Answer by older at 9:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• make her get her license and make her drive if she can have sex and the responsibility that comes with it then surely she can drive,
    marysmama09

Answer by marysmama09 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• How about getting your daughter her driver's license or letting her bf drive her car? It's nice to see they are both together and probably planning on raising the baby together so you should be proud of them. Like older said, someday you'll look back and wish you were still chauffering them around.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 9:09 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Honestly, you need to encourage your daughter to get her license. She's about to be a mom and she needs to become independent. How are they affording going out? Do they both work? If so they need to start paying for things like car insurance on her car.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Why can't boyfriend drive her car? Or your daughter get her license? With a new baby on the way one of them at least need to take the responsibility of getting both a license and car, and insurance. Money shouldn't be an issue since you said they can afford dinner and movies regularly. If the new baby has a Dr. appointment cause they're sick and your at work they need to have the ability to get that baby to the Dr. If for some reason driving still just isn't an option for either one of them get them a schedule of the local bus route and let them use that for pleasure, and you help out for necessity, like work and Dr appts. But I hold the belief if they can have a baby then they sure as heck can get insurance, licenses and a car.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Tell you daughter she has to get her license and start acting like a grownup because she is going to be a parent soon and it will be here responsibility to take care of her baby. Why is her BF not allowed to drive her car? As long as he has insurance or there is insurnace on the car, he is covered. That would stop you from having to be the chauffer.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• They choose to have a child, they need to be responsible for ALL of that child's care. They can take public transit, walk, ride a bicycle, by their own car

Answer by rkoloms at 5:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Just STOP. Either push your daughter into getting her License OR allow the BF to drive her car. There is a solution sitting right in front of you.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:35 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• She can't get her license right now because she has to wait so long after getting a permit to get a license. She was not able to take driver's ed last summer so that delayed getting the permit and driver's ed is only offered in the summer here. He can't drive her car because it's a two-seater and no adult would be with them (state laws not ours) besides that, it's a stick shift and he can't drive one. We have insurance on the car, but he is not on our insurance and honestly, I don't feel comfortable letting him drive her around in a sports car, he's not got the most responsible record. The only public transit we have in our area would be calling a cab, and the fees associated with that would be stupid.
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Mar. 20, 2011