Is she spoiled or are all 4 year olds like this?

My husband is a neat freak and he freaks out about messes, so when ever my 4 year old daughter wants something she has to ask. So she has has become very accustomed to getting everything she ask for. The other day she made me and my husband get up from the dinner table at least 10 times asking for a napkin, apple juice, a straw. She said , "Hey this is just like a restaurant!!!.........

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• At 4 I would be teaching her how to get someof those things herself....for instance...the napkin...put them on a shelf low enough for her to reach, teach her where they are and send her for her own napkin :)

Time to start teaching how to help herself on the small things :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I think so to some extent, but you are feeding it attention.....what she is is smart and probably cute!!!!

Answer by older at 9:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• There is NO WAY i would have gotten up more than once to get what any of my boys what they needed. Its up to you how you want to teach your children, but i have a 6yr old, 4 1/2 yr old, 2 1/2 yr old and an 11 month old and i cannot or would not get up that many times for any of them. My boys need to learn they cant always get everything that they want....especially not everything they want right at the moment.
    Anonymous

• Oh and if I were to get up at all...the words PLEASE and THANK YOU would have been heard coming from her mouth :) hehe
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Yep, it's time to have her start helping you get the table ready. Then she can be responsible about remembering things she'll need. And I like what the other mom said about having certain things in her reach. Her daddy will just have to accept that with kids comes messes. It's unavoidable- but that's how they learn to start doing things for themselves. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Well if you taught her to ask for everything then shes only doing what she is told its not her fault.
    BrittanyBabe

Answer by BrittanyBabe at 9:59 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• She is asking, which is what you want her to do. As for dinner, make sure everything is on the table before you all sit down (dinner-napkins-straw-drink-etc). If my DD asks for another drink, which require us to go to the kitchen, we simply ask her to wait until we are all finished.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• idk if it's normal or not b/c when we sit down to dinner as a family, i set the table and my kids already have their drink and napkin so i don't get up a million times to get something i forgot
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I'd send her to get up to do anything she's capable of! It not only develops independent skills but builds self esteem!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 7:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2011