Would you us a harness?

I have a son that was born with Down Syndrome that is now 4 1/2 yrs old. I also have 3 other boys ages 6, 2 1/2 and 11 months old. I recieved a harness as a gift from my MIL to use for Dominic. At first i was too embarassed what ppl would think if i used it, but lately i am beginning to change my mind about what ppl think if i do use it. I feel like i should have control over all my boys at all times, but it gets difficult in parking lots, at the zoo, muxeums, ect when Dominic will just start to walk or run from us like it is a big game. He knows no danger when it comes to cars and being in parking lots or public places. I am thinking what is the alternative that could happen. I think i would rather use the harness in crowded, public places and not give a crap what ppl think of us instead of wishing i would have used the harness after something bad has happened. I think that i should add  i have 2 sons with special needs. 

team21

Asked by team21 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If it will keep your son safe and make your job as mom easier...to heck with other people!

My dd has aspergers and I SHOULD have had one! She is much better about staying with me now.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I personally wouldn't use it unless nothing else worked for my child. In your case, I think I would use it if I knew I was going to be somewhere where he would be hard to keep up with. And don't really take to heart what people may think about it, you're doing your best to keep your child safe. If people don't like it, then maybe they should walk around with you and chase him down.
    PhoenixsMommy10

Answer by PhoenixsMommy10 at 9:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Go for it. I have seen plenty of mothers using the harness on little children. I don't think it looks stupid. I, personally, think it is a wise decision based on what you are talking about.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 9:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• yes my 2 and a half year old hyper and he runs away so yes i use one

i dont see the problem if you not using them to pull your kid about 

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 9:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• If I had to, yes, you are doing the right thing, don't worry so much about what others think or do, follow your gut.

Answer by older at 9:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• YES! My children do not have any learning disabilities so I can't compare on that level. But a harness saved my oldest child from running out in to the highway. I had his baby brother and all my bags in my arms and without the harness simply couldn't have caught him when he let go and ran. Since then, I have never not used one on my kids until they were old enough not to need one.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• My daughter used a harness when she was younger. I'd rather us look like fools than risk her taking off quickly and getting hurt.
    spastic_poodle

Answer by spastic_poodle at 9:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I personally would never use one, but I feel that in a situation likes your it's not bad at all to use one. If you feel it's the best option for your sons safety then go for it. If it makes it easier dont think of it as a harness call it his backpack.
    lil_shannie

Answer by lil_shannie at 9:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• we call my son his batrains as he has bat wings on them lol
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 9:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Nope, I would not, for any reason, use a harness on a child. My kids have energy through the roof every day, but they still mind and stay with us in crowded places. They learned as soon as they could walk that either they listened to Mom/Dad or they didn't get to walk. If your son runs off then he's holding a hand so he won't do that. He'll get the picture.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2011