The Book of Revelation

So an angel was sent to John and revealed what is to come ("what must soon take place") so therefore it was a vision correct? Anyway, question is that it was nothing more than vision that one man claimed was sent to him by God about the next coming of Jesus and also that the way it is written seems more present tense (of their time of course not ours) rather than deep down in the future. This is how I have always perceived it no matter how many times I have read it. Where do the other views come from or is it just how others see it?

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Everyone sees it differently. The same 3 sentences in the bible shown to 100 people will yield 100 different meanings. Its just how it was written. In parables. Meant to be thought provoking and that everyone gets a different meaning for them.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• gotcha. Yeah I find it a little confusing.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Some people have been trying to make some of that stuff in Revelation relevant. Here's something that is true. You won't believe it, because I didn't believe it until I saw it with my own two eyes. Picture it--April 28, 1995, I was standing in line at Walmart. The man in front of me made about a $100+ in purchases. The cashier told him what he owed. He politely asked if he could run his forearm over the scanner. Odd request, right? The cashier let him. The next thing to show up was the word "Paid." You see, he had a chip in his arm that was took his money out of his bank account. It was as if he had run a credit card through the scanner. He didn't have to sign or put in a PIN #. It was paid in full. This is talked about in Revelations.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 9:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• My understanding is that it's one of the things that you can (and maybe should) see in multiple ways. The original was supposed to be (according to my pastor) about Rome, and if you look for Roman symbolism, it's certainly there. But that doesn't mean that there isn't another meaning beyond that. Even if you think it's totally about the situation of Christians in Rome, there are still lessons to be learned.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• bad mushrooms
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I seriously believe that this book was as the author put it "a dream" and a very bad one too, perhaps the end result of too much wine or as saphire put it, bad 'shrooms
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:09 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• same here shiva. That is how I interpret it. It was a dream and somehow someone felt the need to put this in the bible and then everyone else gets scared and thinks that it is talking about now
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:05 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I've always wondering why it's okay for some people to do divination through dream interpretation in the bible when it's considered 'socery', 'witchcraft' and a sin.

Perhaps John had a little too much wine before bed and you people are all up in odds trying to interpret his drunken hallucination.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:35 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• lol and let's not forget he was also casted out to that place too so who knows
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Also known as "St. John of Patmos on too much peyote". His visions are like dreams or nightmares more than visions. They are unreal and could never possibly ACTUALLY happen--unless earth is invaded by seven-headed aliens ridden by space whores. We certainly don't have anything like that here on THIS planet. That may be why they are interpreted so many different ways. Like all religious myths, they can be twisted to mean whatever you want them to mean.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:09 PM on Mar. 20, 2011