I'm having a hard time liking who my son has become...

I have a 19 month old son. He was the happiest baby on earth. Rarely cried, smiled all the time, and it was like I could do no wrong. Now he's 19 months old and is COMPLETELY different. I know that he's just going through the 'terrible 2's' and that this is (hopefully) just a phase, but I'm having a really hard time dealing with the toddler he has become. Its not a question if I love my son or not, of course I do, he is my world and I would do anything for him, but I am a stay at home mom and lately I've been searching for any excuse to get away from him. Its like nothing makes him happy. I take him to the park to play and he throws a fit if I even look at him the wrong way. His fits are 20 minutes long of him screaming at the top of his lungs and he freaks out over EVERY stupid thing. And I literally mean the dumbest things ever...like not being able to open something.

Is this a normal feeling? How can I accept this? I feel bad because I don't even enjoy playing with him anymore because all it takes is a mood swing and he's flipping out and screaming.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is normal, and don't feel like you failed if you don't find every moment of motherhood to be this beautiful thing. I would recommend being consistent now and using good discipline so that the terrible 2s will be shorter lived and a good foundation will be laid for the future.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• yes it normal it all to do with they no what they wont but they cant yet tell you . its also about them wanting to be indpendent but not being able to yet . best thing to do is ignore them
    have you thought about a mother and toddler group where he can play with other kids his own age and you can chat to mum's
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 9:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• sounds like my son... he is 26 months.. i hate taking him to stores with me, my other two kids were never like that..., i feel the same way sometimes.. but i usually say a prayer an feel better most times.. but its a daily thing with him it drives me crazy. i am also hoping its just a phase.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 9:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• The terrible twos....
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 9:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• here you go this is my 2 and a half year odl lieing on the floor screaming and crying and stamping his feet because he want that car lol

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 9:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• You shoud contiue to take him out in publc places in order to TEACH him how to behave socially. You should also discipline him when he does act up and throw fits.Sometimes ignoring it works, but at some point you may have to really impress upon him that this is unacceptable behavior. He is old enough to know right from worng and if you allow this to continue for too long it will turn into him being classified as a special education student in school based on his behavior. It is difficult to think about discipline at this point because we still want to love on them and baby them, but the time passes so quickly that before you know it you will be enrolling him in school and leaving him for the day. You want himo be able to make good choices without you and also be able to listen and obey other adults. Good luck.
    Crimsonpope31

Answer by Crimsonpope31 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• This my dd, who threw a temper tantum when we told she can't put the toy in the water, so she sits downm in the water, then her little butt got stuck!  And being the kind and loving mom I am, I had to get the camera and use this as black mail when she starts dating. lol

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:04 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• By all means, this most definitely, is normal. When he starts to fit, you have 2 choices - either try to fix it or just let him figure it out. The hardest part of being a mom is to remember that our job is to prepare them for their future. He won't always like what's happening, where it's happening or who's making it happen. Would you rather have him throwing a 20 minute crying fit now or throwing himself on the ground when he's 6 and forcing you to explain to the ER staff that he was mad that he didn't get his way? It's always hard for moms to understand why boys act so weird sometimes - young and old. It's ok to go find a play group or even go to a restaurant with a playland for a break - often.
    fudgemom

Answer by fudgemom at 10:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I have a 2 yr old dd and she does this ALL the time. Its normal. I just send her to her room when she does it and tell her not to come out until she is done crying and can talk like a big girl.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:23 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Try having a teenage daughter! Lol
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 11:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2011