Borderline Intellectual Functioning

Can anyone help me with what this means? A friend was diagnosed and I am having a hard time finding anything for them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Health

• It means that their IQ is slightly above being intectually disabled, or ::cringe:: I HATE this word... retarded.
    Anonymous

• I agree, I do not like the "R" either.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• it means a categorization of intelligence wherein a person has below average cognitive ability (an IQ of 71–85), but the deficit is not as severe as mental retardation (70 or below).
    Persons who fall into this categorization have a relatively normal expression of affect for their age, though their ability to think abstractly is rather limited. Reasoning displays a preference for concrete thinking. Others may describe such a person as "simple" or "a little slow". They are usually able to function day to day without assistance, including holding down a simple job and the basic responsibilities of maintaining a dwelling.
    [edit]
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:30 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• It means that your friend has below average cognitive functioning. No need to use the "R" word. I detest that word, it is so negative. I know it's an actual medical term, but with the way people throw it around, it's become nothing more than a slur. I don't even think doctors use it. They use intellectual disability or developmental disability. Check out this site, it's great,

www.r-word.org

TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• my son was digncted with this also. witch i have hard time under standing it to. he is a very smart young man very good in math but when it comes to making good judge ment not so great.. but he was also going threw a bad deprestion so im not for sure if eather had any thing to do togther. now my son also has had trouble making friends. guys said neg stuff to him. which girls on other hand differnt story..my son does great job doing things but i have to ask him he will not do any thing with out being asked...
    jthompson1976

Answer by jthompson1976 at 1:04 AM on Apr. 28, 2013