7 year old underweight! Doctors don't know why...

My little boy is seven and a half years old. He's 3 foot 2, and weighs 37 lbs. He is active, but has poor motor skills. He eats well: in order, he favors fruit, raw veges, milk, nuts, breads and cereals, meat and eggs. He tends to have loose bowels, like maybe the food he eats isn't staying in his body long enough to be properly digested.

At school he is well above average in Reading and Spelling and slightly above average in Math.

The doctors have ruled out strongoloides parasite and celiac disease. We are experimenting taking lactose out of his diet. Anyone have other thoughts?

judimary

Asked by judimary at 10:53 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Has he been tested for Cystic fibrosis? It sounds like maybe he needs a few more tests. I would look into that before you just give up and say he is just small. My LO was diagnosed with FT (failure the thrive) at 4 mos b/c she wasn't gaining weight or growing much. It is just the way she is. Her Dad is thin and he was a small kid, but he is tall and she is starting to catch up. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:59 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Maybe he is just small. My brother got tested to see if he needed growth hormones. We found out he was naturally producing enough so we didn't have to do anything. However since he was underweight the doc actually said my brother should eat bad foods like McDonalds once every three hours in the daytime! Crazy right? I should mention he has Noonans syndrome. Now he is 22 years old almost 4 ft tall and weighs something like 86 lbs. His metabolism is off the charts. He is very active healthy and can eat whatever he wants and his body makes it ok. Good luck figuring it out. Sounds like you are doing everything you need to and you have a healthy child. Maybe underweight is just his thing.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 11:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Thank-you, MrsCoop. I have considered that maybe he is just small, but he is the only one of our 6 kids who is so tiny. I am slim, but I have to starve myself to stay in shape, and my husband is a big man, tall and broad. So it's not just his genes. Oh, and he is quite susceptible to chest infections. He seems to pick up every cold that's going around and it really knocks him down: croup, asthma, brochitus and sometimes pneumonia.
    judimary

Comment by judimary (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I'd say that maybe he's just small but my four-year-old weighs a little more than he does. Maybe adding more protein and carbs in his diet?
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:03 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Thanks my friends. I will look into Cystic fibrosis, but my first thought is that that would be more debilitating than he appears to be. His gross motor skills are at a point he can walk and run and skip but not ride a bike or climb stairs gracefully, one foot to one step. We do try to feed him as much as he will eat, including allowing chocolate and such as much as he likes.
    judimary

Comment by judimary (original poster) at 12:29 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I don't have an answer, but I would pursue other testing, maybe start with a pediatric G.I. DOC.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 3:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2011