Has anyone here suffered nerve damage from an oral surgery?

I had a lower wisdom tooth extracted about a month ago and I have damage to my inferior alveolar nerve. The left half of my lower lip, teeth, and chin are numb, but painful, if that makes sense. The dentist said it could heal within weeks, months, years, or possibly..never. There's no way of telling, apparently.

Has anyone suffered from this? If so, did you regain feeling, and after how long?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Health

• I had numbness in the right side of my face after I had my wisdom teeth out. It was completely numb for a couple of months, but the feeling came back. What's weird though is that if I touch one spot on my face, I feel a weird cold shiver sensation that shoots down toward my jaw. I know it's still from the same nerve damage, but I never notice it unless I purposely move over that spot.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• In 2002 I had all 4 wisdom teeth cut out. None had broken the skin. The Dr said I could lose all feeling in my jaw because of where the teeth were and where the nerves were. I had it done. I ate with a baby spoon for two weeks, an iced tea spoon for another week or two. I had numbness for a few weeks. I was fine after a month or so. Just do what they tell you. By the way...I was 50 at the time. If you trusdt the Dr, go for it.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:16 AM on Mar. 20, 2011