Epidural or Natural?

When I had my daughter I had an epidural. I never really thought of the idea of natural child birth so when they asked I said well sure. I was wondering how many of you who have had a child or are going to have a child had or will be having an epidural or went/wanting natural and for those who went natural was it by choice or did you miss your window?

ah2590

Asked by ah2590 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

Level 4 (-80 Credits)
  • I have had both, epidural and natural. I was induced both times. The first time it was natural and by my choice, and the second time I chose to have the epidural. To be honest, I really preferred the epidural. Induction is a pita as it is, and I really enjoyed being able to stay calm, focused, and really "remember" my daughter being born. When I did it completely natural, there is a good two hours that I don't remember (probably caused by the pain), not counting that after the birthing process was over I fell asleep for 5-6 hours. Not my idea of a perfect story if you can't remember most of it.

So if by the grace of god I do get pregnant again, I will be having another epidural.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 11:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I had 2 epidurals and 1 natural. I had a little help with the pain for the natural childbirth. I prefer natural with pain meds. I was able to get up and walk as soon as I had given birth, and I was so much more alert than I was after having epidurals.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• i had 3 epidurals = 3 kids!! altho with my frist the drip machine stopped working right before i started to push and they couldnt get another one in time because they were all being used! so it felt like i had no epidural .. i would never want to feel that again.. i was induced with my first two so i never felt contractions (well at the end with my first) when my 3rd i felt contractions.. again i dont want to feel it again - i am a pansy!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• all natural!!! ur body knows wat its doing so trust it! it was the best experience of my life!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I honestly enjoyed my epidural with my daughter. I felt no pain but just enough pressure to know when I had to push. On top of everything I ended up needing an episiotomy which I was very glad to not feel ;)
    ah2590

Comment by ah2590 (original poster) at 11:53 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I have done both and I will pick natural anyday,. I have 6 kids and a strong withhold on pain , and I liked knowing what was going on with my body, I have to be incontrol and with an epi I was not!
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 11:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I've had 2 natural births, by choice. The first was at a freestanding birth center and the second was a homebirth. I can't imagine giving birth any other way. It was such an amazing experience for me. I wish more women would at least try for a natural birth and try with the right support. It can be so rewarding and empowering...not to mention safer because ,unfortunately, there are risks with the epidural.

I'd suggest you do some reading about natural birth to decide if you want to go for it. The Thinking Woman's Guide To A Better Birth by Henci Goer is excellent as is Ina May's Guide To Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin. Weigh the risks and the benefits and figure out what works best for you.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 11:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Op, this is completely speculation since I don't know your full birth story, but it's likely that you "needed" an episiotomy because of the epidural. You can't feel what your body is doing as well so your pushing isn't as effective and laying on your back in the stirrups is the worst position for pushing and closes your pelvis considerably.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 12:05 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I had an epidural and would again.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:13 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I've had two unmedicated, non-induced births by choice. The first one was at a hospital, the second was at home with a midwife. I would never choose a medicated birth, although I would be the first to sign up for a c-section if it became necessary. :)

There is so much more to natural then just not having an epi. It is hard to describe, but it really just gives you this amazing feeling like none other. It is a lot of hard work like any labor, but having less risk, being more in control, and listing to what your body needs and being able to respond is incredible, and so worth the work! :) I would definitely suggest looking into The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer as well as The Birth Book by Dr. and Martha Sears.
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:15 AM on Mar. 20, 2011