How can I last longer on the elliptical machine?

So I haven't worked out in a while and I just got a new elliptical machine. I have only been able to do 5-10 minutes on it though! I feel so out of shape! What can I do to build my stamina on this thing and actually make it through a 30 minute workout?

Crimsonpope31

Asked by Crimsonpope31 at 11:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Build up slowly, breathe evenly, and set a steady pace. Start out at a low setting and tell yourself you can do a full 15 minutes (since you're alrady doing 10). When you start to think you can't finish it, remember that you've only got x more minutes-- that's like a commercial break. Then slowly increase the increment by 5 minutes until you're hit your time goal of 30 minutes. Once you've hit the time goal, increase the resistence so that you get more of a workout in the same period of time.

Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I start out setting it at 20 min, then when I get to 15 min I keep telling myself "just 5 more min, you can do it. Five more min adn you're done!" then When I get to 20 min I do it again. I can usually get an extra 10 or 15 min that way.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 11:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I watch tv while I do it that way the time goes by super fast. You just have to challenge yourself. Good luck! You'll get there mama, at least you're trying, any excercise is better than none. You know you can always break it up too and do 15 min. in the morning and 15 min. at night:)
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:05 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I would slowly add 5 minutes. Keep your mind occupied with something else, tv or music.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 12:10 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Keep at it and the time will increase as your body gets used to it =)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 8:48 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• strech, drink fluids, start slow
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 11:15 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• mainemusicmaker hit it right on the nose.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 11:22 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Do stretches and work your way up. You should try to push yourself if you think you can only go for another minute try to push through and do 5 more minutes. So if you can only do 10 minutes set a goal to do 15 minutes. It isn't easy when I first started out I was 160 pounds overweight. I was lucky to do 5 minutes on a treadmill. My trainer would make me do 10 it wasn't easy but after each day pushing myself an extra 5 minutes I saw and felt the results.

You can do it maybe turn on some fun music or read a magazine. You could tape over the timer on the elliptical so you have no clue how long you are going sometimes watching that will psych a person out. Good luck to you not easy to start working out but it is very rewarding I lost all 160 pounds and can wear a bikini now. If my butt can do it yours can too. :0)

FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 11:33 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Ok update!! Thank all of you for your support and suggestions! I did 20 minutes tonight!!! I feel great!
    Crimsonpope31

Comment by Crimsonpope31 (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• remember to upload music on your ipod and hopefully that can get you going.
    obenblue

Answer by obenblue at 10:26 PM on Mar. 20, 2011