I'm currently a stay at home mom but i am fixing on going to school. I am currently breast feeding and i want to know how can i still breast feed my child and go back to school. i currently have a breast pump but i have not used it yet any suggestions as far as breast feeding and keeping supply up. Thank you everyone who responds.

I'm currently a stay at home mom but i am fixing on going to school. I am currently breast feeding and i want to know how can i still breast feed my child and go back to school. i currently have a breast pump but i have not used it yet any suggestions as far as breast feeding and keeping supply up. Thank you everyone who responds. My son is 7 months old if that helps any.

proudmami872006

Asked by proudmami872006 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Good for you for wanting to go back to school. I am a SAHM and I just graduate from college. I don't know what school you are planning on going to but I was able to take my courses online. When my daughter was younger (now 5yrs. old) I was working and I would pump the night before. This way all my husband had to do was go in the fridge grab a bottle and heat it up. If you have questions call your doctor or a lactation nurse. They will be able to give the best advice on how to store breast milk. Some pumps also come with information.
    Anonymous

• I would first of all start pumping now and offering a bottle occasionally. A lot of babies reject the bottle at first. You can also start building your supply of milk at home by pumping and freezing it. Also depending on how long each day you will be at school, you may want to train your breasts to go longer in between expressing the milk. I went to school in the evenings and my class was 4 hours long. This meant I had to go at least 5 hours (when you count travel time)which at first was very hard because at that time I was used to pumping every 3 hours (I pump exclusively due to latch on issues with my son). If that isn't going to work, I don't know about your pump, but mine has a battery pack, and also available is a vehicle adapter for it, so you could just bring yourself a blanket, cover up in your car on your break and pump away. Just make sure to bring a cooler or something to keep the milk cold while you're there.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 2:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I teach during the school year so I have to pump as well. You need to schedule some breaks between classes if at all possible. there probably isn't a place a the school for you to pump so you will need to get a car adapter so that you can pump in your car. Also keep lots of water with you, I would by a case and stick it in the trunk or in my cooler. make sure you pump at least every 2 to 3 hours. the first lady had a good point a lactation consultant is a great help and most hospitals have them just call and they will help over the phone for no charge. Good Luck
    davisj81

Answer by davisj81 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I pump at work and found the this out by accident. I was trying to wash the dishes at home but needed to pump. I took an old nursing bra that was too small and cut two slits in the breast part. I put the bra on over my regular nursing bra, put the shields on and pull the bra up over. I can then attach the rest of the bottle/accessories and pump hands free. I use this at work when I'm eating.
    NoonieP

Answer by NoonieP at 5:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2008