Are there too many children being diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and other disorders?

I work in the public school system with 4th and 5th graders. Lately, we have had so many teachers and parents requesting ADD/ADHD screenings for children. I am wondering how much of these referrals for testing are just children being active children and how many are just teachers wanting litte robots in the classroom. I remember when we were in school, teachers did activities with us to get us moving. We didn't realize we were learning because it was meaningful and fun. I'm not saying that teachers should entertain, but certainly meet the kids half way and not require them to be silent and still during the whole class period. What parents can do at home is limit video games and television, as it over stimulates these children and makes it more difficult for them to concentrate in classroom settings.

Your thoughts...

Crimsonpope31

Asked by Crimsonpope31 at 11:53 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in

• YES! Children, these days, are typically overtired. They have extremely long days, as most of them are in daycare, and then school, and then daycare . . . and then, they are kept up late to finish supper and homework. A chronically tired child will look like he/she is hyperactive.
    And then, noone has time to deal with that, so they pressure for screenings and medication to calm the overtired kid down.
    There is something wrong with our society. The adults are overworked/overstressed, and our kids are sleep deprived, starving for parental attention, and medicated.
    :(
    Something's gotta give.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:04 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I agree with you ! There is too much of everything diagnosed for adults and children, bi-polar, depression, ADD and ADHD, chronic fatigue etc. There are many natural cures which take care of the problems. My youngest was "diagnosed " with ADD. After trying the "normal" route of meds which made him throw up and becme a zombie, we stopped his pills, altered his diet and worked night after night helping him learn to focus and study. He has since successfully graduated and is a very independent young man. Behaviors can be reinforced or taught. The pills just seem to slightly sedate them, not cure the core problems. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 12:06 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• No, I don't think it is. I think there is more knowledge and treatment options. When I was in school, kids that were labeled trouble makers were probably ADHD/ADD and would have benefited from meds and treatment. I for one, should have been on meds.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I was reading somewhere that most children with sleeping problems are found to have been using ' electronics' in the hours before bedtime , presumably TV, computers etc. Whatever the causes , the levels of stress and attention deficit problems among children seem to have reached such proportions that some serious research is needed into causation , rather than relying on medication. It is almost certainly environmental but that can cover a multitude of sins .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:12 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I think some doctors are too quick to throw meds at a child that a parent (or teacher, or whoever) can't 'deal with' because of their activity level. I do believe some children genuinely have issues, but I also think there's a lot who don't who are medicated when they don't need to be. I think it happens a lot with adults too, depression and bi-polar seem to be the popular diagnosis of the last couple decades and I think a lot of people could take different routes to make themselves feel better rather than popping a pill.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:15 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Although I've seen first hand children who are probably not truly ADD/ADHD labeled as such I believe overall it's not an increase in these disorders but a better understanding of them, and better education among the professionals on how to properly diagnose. Bi-polar individuals have existed since the dawn of time, but it wasn't until recent years that an understanding of the diagnosis came to light. Autistic children as recently as 30 years ago were being improperly diagnosed as Mentally Retarded. Now the numbers of Mental Retardation have decreased while the numbers of Autism have increased. As the professionals, teachers, doctors, physiologist, gain a better understanding of disorders and how they work, and education continues to evolve, the numbers of individuals effected with these disorders are going to increase and decrease accordingly.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:39 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I am a parent of three well active boys and one girl. In cost cases YES... ADHD is the first thing parent and teacher think when kids are misbehaving.(being kid). I am raising an ADHD dd and even conpared to my boys, I know she is ADHD. It is passed from a parent a her bio is ADHD, She struggles in school, She has a very bad temper, When it come to T.V. and vidio games. She can't sit still long enough. She hits the other kids. I have her seeing a in home counsilor and even during when her counsilor talks to her, she doesn't focus or sit still. Her counsilor pointed that out last week. I have always known that my dd was different. The school noticed her problem in first grade. Right now I choose not to medicate my dd. I have tried meds before but I didn't like what they did to her(4 diefferent meds). I work with my dd everyday with her problem. She has all the signs og ADHD not just some.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 2:06 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Yes there are too many kids being diagnosed with that. Kids are kids and if you can't handle your kids, then YOU need to be the one taking classes. I am at that point right now with my 7yr daughter. She is perfect student at school but at home she is either mean and won't do anything, or overly hyper. But I WILL NOT resort to thinking she has ADHD. I WILL find a way to deal with it. My kid does NOT need to be on meds. She will never learn how to deal with life.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 11:18 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• All 3 of my kids have ADHD. My youngest also has Asperger's and Athetoid Cerebral Palsy. My oldest has a mood disorder & anxiety attacks too. I have Asperger's. Both my boys tried meds for awhile because they were having so much trouble focusing in school. It made a huge difference for them. The only problem is they required higher doses after awhile & my oldest son got heart palpitations and my youngest became very irritable, so I immediately took them off the meds. They tried non-stimulants but none of them worked like the stimulants did. Neither of them have been on meds since & they have a lot of problems with focusing, time management,etc. It greatly effects their school work. My youngest has an IEP and I am working on getting my oldest son on a 504 plan. He is living with his dad right now and he didn't bother to give the school the paperwork from my son's therapist. So he is suffering for it.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 1:23 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My daughter never needed meds while she was in school. However, now she has started taking them trying to find something that works for her. She leaves for college in Ca. the end of Sept. and wants to be able to do well at school. Stimulants didn't work for her, the extended release only lasted about 3-4 hrs.!! The diagnosis came from therapists who specialize in ADHD,etc. It took 2 1/2 months for all the testing.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 1:27 AM on Mar. 21, 2011