Do you think i will get fired?

i screwed up big time at work today. and the thing is, i didn't even realize it when it happened. i'm a cashier at a craft store, and i did a return. the amount was over $100. she had paid with debit, so she could get cash back, and was very persistent about the return not going on her card. i know all the rules we have about doing returns of that amount, and it slipped my mind. we were so busy, all i was thinking was, ok, she paid with debit she can get cash back. big mistake.i was supposed to let a manager do the return cause it was so much, and she wasn't supposed to get that much cash back, but a corporate check or back on her card. the manager there had to write me up. this is a big deal, something that can get the store in trouble in an audit. she said since it was my first time doing anything like that i can't get fired, but if anything like that happens again i will.they have a 3 strikes you're out kinda thing. i'm really hoping she is right that i wont get fired over this. i really need this job to pay for my daughters preschool. i'm worried about the other managers that weren't there, what are they gonna do or say. can they fire me even though i only have one strike?

julianasprotege

Asked by julianasprotege at 11:59 PM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• I wouldn't worry too much sweetie, it was an honest mistake and everyone makes them! If they did fire you for making one mistake, you wouldn't want to work for a place like that anyway! Best of luck, God bless you.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:01 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• If you live in an "at will" state, they can fire you for NO reason. Find out if that is the case. As for firing you for the first offense, probably not. It depends on the policy the store has. Usually, they have to do a verbal warning, written warning, then you would get fired.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:05 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about it. Take what your manager said at face value. Getting written up can be nerve-wracking, but it's simply a way for document, for both you and the company, of what mistake occurred and what action was taken so that you can't allege wrongful termination, violation of company protocol, or discrimination. If the company has a disciplinary policy, they have to follow it otherwise questions will arise as to why not (i.e. because of a discrimination issue?).

If you're worried you'll make the same mistake again, have a note on your register to remind you-- all debit transactions over $100 MUST be back on the card.

Take care!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:05 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• its just such a big deal. the mistake i made could get the store in trouble in an audit. i know what i was supposed to do, i just wasn't thinking. i know i was supposed to let a manager do it, and they were supposed to get a corporate check. i feel like i let everyone down, i've been told by all the managers there i am the best cashier they have. i can't believe i screwed up like this. i've been at this job 6 months, this is my first job. i can't get fired. i really need this money.
    julianasprotege

Comment by julianasprotege (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• im in florida, and i think we are an at will state. i'm really worried. even though it was my first offense it was written up as a written warning, cause it was such a big mistake.
    julianasprotege

Comment by julianasprotege (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I wouldn't worry it happens, most time they can't fire you for a one time thing. If you show up everyday do you job and are respectful to people they arn't going to want to fire you.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 12:08 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I wouldn't worry too much. it really was an honest mistake. If she said that it was your first strike no worries. I've had something like this happen before too and I didn't get fired.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 12:16 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• with so much money involved, that shouldn't haev been given back in cash form on my part, i'm worried that even though it is my first strike, it's not gonna matter cause i knew better, i wasn't thinking. i just have so much other stressful things going on right now, i can't get fired right now. my purse was stolen recently and i'm still trying to get my stuff back together. i'm dealing with a piece of crap car that shuts off when i'm driving sometimes, and i'm the one responsible fro taking my daughter to school.i just can't take anymore bad things happening. and this one is completely my fault.
    julianasprotege

Comment by julianasprotege (original poster) at 12:21 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I thought that any time you put it on a credit card that you could only give them cash back after a certain period of time, Did she show you the receipt? Some people will give you credit back onto the card. In the future, I would be more careful, the store owner should place a sign that says the store policy just in case it happens again in the future. That way the customer would know your return policies.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:54 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• If it was your first mistake, I don't think it should matter, everyone makes a mistake every now and then.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:55 AM on Mar. 20, 2011