Daycare and schedules

Until Feb. of this year I have had swing shift random hours with work. Now I am working a normal 7-4 job and my 15 mo old dd is in daycare three days a week and my mom watches her two days a week. I love her daycare, since she ahs started going she has been sleeping through the night, nad falling asleep on her own. I can put her in her crib and close the door, and I don't hear a peep until I wake her up in the mornings. Before she just screamed until 2 or 3am then she'd pass out and sleep for a few hours then scream some more. But when I pick her up between 4 and 4:30 she's SOOOO grumpy!! I spend as much time every night on the floor playing with her as I can. But if I'm cooking dinner or something she just sits there and screams. Lately she's been grabbing me and literally pulling me away from teh stove back to the toy box. It's breaking my heart. And she's soo sleepy. She was going to bed between 8 and 9, and now she's ready for bed at 5:30 or 6. I try to make her stay up until 7. She just lays on the floor and cries and rubs her eyes. I hate putting her to bed so early. That means I only get a few hours with her every day, and DH barely gets any time at all with her. I just feel so bad and I don't know what to do! I don't want to make her stay up if I know she's that tired, but I hate putting her to bed so early and not getting to spend time with her. She usually takes a nap at daycare from 12-2 or 3. Has anyone else delt with this? Is there any thing I can do to help her stay up a little bit longer? I know there are mothers who would love for their kids to go to bed by 7 every night, but I just don't get to spend much time with her like this and I really don't like it.

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 12:05 AM on Mar. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Is she napping at daycare? I completely understand you. When DD was in daycare we had a one hour drive home, I did everything to keep her awake in the car after picking her up at 4pm. I'd sing, let her watch movies on my cell phone (age 3 by then), let her play Leapster, etc. 7 was the EARLIEST I'd allow bedtime myself.

Maybe you can have her pick out a toy to play with in the kitchen, so she is near you while you cook. Are there any DVDs you can pop in for her to watch, just to better her mood?
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:21 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My daughter has been in daycare since she was 8 weeks her father and I both worked full time and he worked two jobs and we did not have the luxury of having family close by. I dealt with this when she was younger and probably about the same age your daughter is now. I would try to take her to the park to have that quality time or take her outside. As far as dinner I would try to cook the night before I make something quick so we could have time together then sometimes if she was sleepy I would just have to face the fact she was tired because daycare within itself tires them out. When my daughter moved over to the one's room she begin to be more active at home and as she became older she stayed up later. Now that she is 22 months she gets home from daycare 5/5:30 we play, dinner, bath, a little tv and she is in the bed no later than like 8pm/9pm. Good Luck!! Hope it helps!!

NewMayMommy_25

Answer by NewMayMommy_25 at 1:01 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• She does take about a 2-3 hour nap starting at noon while she's in daycare.
    jedwards2009

Comment by jedwards2009 (original poster) at 9:18 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Also 2-3 hours is a long time to nap as well...for an example my daughter usually goes to sleep about 11:45-12:00 to no later than like 1:45 but there nap time hours are from 12-2..Maybe you can speak to your daycare provider and they can shorten her nap since it is affecting home..Hopefully they will understand!
    NewMayMommy_25

Answer by NewMayMommy_25 at 10:39 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I don't think a shorter nap would help, because she's soooo sleepy at night. If she took a shorter nap then she would just more sleepy. The other night the DC didn't wake her up after 2 hours and let her sleep for 4. She was such a joy that day!! We played adn she was happy and not scraeming or cranky. She still went to bed at 7, but she didn't start getting fussy and grumpy until after 6.
    jedwards2009

Comment by jedwards2009 (original poster) at 7:14 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It could still be the schedule adjustment for her. What time does she get up in the morning? We have had to make changes off and on to DD's wake up schedule. For a while she did better if I gave her lots of time to wake up, then it was dressing her half asleep & dragging her to the car. You'll get a pattern going. I know it seems like forever but even 6 or 7 weeks to adjust to a new pattern isn't that long. Sometimes it takes a while. Visit the Full-time working mom's group here. We've all been there and I'll bet someone will have some good advice for you!
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2011