Tots and Dogs

Is it too soon to get a dog?
My son is currently 16mos, I was thinking of getting a dog by his second Birthday, I need time to shop around.

What obstacles should I be considering with a tot and a puppy?

If breed of dog matters we have narrowed it down to 1st and 2nd pick. 1st pick = German Shephard. 2nd Pick=Dobermen Pinscher

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 12:09 AM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How does your son do with other animals? Is he gentle? We have 4 dogs, and my son learned early on to be gentle with them, not to play with their food or water, and to only touch them with his hands-- not sit on them, lean on them, etc.

Puppies are often rambunctious and nippy-- it's hard to train both a puppy and a toddler who aren't used to each other. On the other hand, puppies often form easy bonds with their children, and getting them to like each other is easier.

Older dogs are more predictable since their personalities are established, and you can get a better sense of whether they will tolerate children. Certain breeds are better than others. The downside is that they are set in their ways-- if it doesn't work out, it really doesn't work out.

Talk with your vet about what breeds would be best for your family, and find a puppy socialization class in your area.

Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:29 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• We had a pitbull puppy around our son at the age of 2. She was lil more full of energy then him so sometimes he would ignore the puppy!! LOL My friend had a problem with her puppy and toddler her pup bit her daughter's hand when she walked over and stuck it in the dog's bowl. Maybe watch out and don't leave a child alone with an animal.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 12:21 AM on Mar. 20, 2011