Advice about dating a man with a child

I'm dating a man now and he has a five year old (I have a two year old) and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice I've only had one relationship since I got pregnant and it only lasted two weeks so I want to hear about dating when you have a child and dating someone with a child. I have no experience in this matter so any help will be appreciated.

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 12:14 AM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• I could understand about the apprehension if u had no children, but u do, what is different?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:21 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Treat his child as you would treat your own. There won't be a relationship if you don't get along with the child too. You can't take one without the other.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:34 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Try to plan things that would involve both children. A bbq at the park, movie, zoo. Ask his opinion of the plans. Would his child like this?
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:47 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• The issue is that I don't know how to be a friend because I'm used to being mamma. I don't want to step on her mother's toes. I've actually known his daughter longer then I have known him. I'm a teacher and his daughter is in my class. She's a sweetheart, one of my best students, and I love her to death. She get's along grate with my daughter. They are trying to convince us to get married so that they can be sisters.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 12:54 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• i hope i could help you out from the little one point of view i have a step brother and he was 2 when he came into our family my mom dated my step dad for years my brother would call my mother mom and she would treat him like her own and i was the same way with my step dad my brother is 19 and im 21 now nothing has change yes we have our ups and downs but all families do

and i also have a step mom and she is my best friend i was 5 when she came into my life so she helped raise me as well just be a mommy and you never know what kind of bond you all could have its a blessing now in total i have 7 brothers and sister
    ashley22ash

Answer by ashley22ash at 1:09 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I have a step brother and sister too, as well as a step father. They married when I was twelve and they were fifteen and eighteen. We're close, but my father was dead and they're mother was a bitch. I think that's the biggest thing I'm worried about.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 1:16 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Treat her as you do your child, your home.....your rules.

She should get no special treatment, when it comes to basic rules in your home.
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 1:19 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• we never had to deal with his mom she gave him to his dad as a newborn so she was never in the picture my mom would go looking for her because she wanted my brother to know his mom it was so sad but he always said he didn't need her because he already had a mom but i understand your worries my step mom would always make us ask our mom first to do something till this day she runs everything by my mom but everyone is diff and you just have to try
    ashley22ash

Answer by ashley22ash at 1:24 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Every one is their own so it is a little difficult to set up advice. But threat his kids as your own, take his kid to things you take your child to. Do not exclude him. GL :)
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 2:34 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I have and its all drama and it was hard to get along with the mother of the child. I always told myself that I would never get into that kind of situation and I always asked a man before I dated them if they had children and if they didnt then I didnt bother. Good Luck Girl
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 2:34 AM on Mar. 20, 2011