6th commandment..

Do not murder. Do you think humans would not know this is an unwise thing, if it weren't written as a commandment?

I tend to think it's common sense.

Some believers think morality comes from a god. I think it's biological/psychological. What do you think?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 1:24 AM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think as social animals we already have instincts that promote our general getting along, and I also think that the fact that societies without wanton carnage existed prior to the Ten Commandments points to the idea that humanity came up with this one on their own.

I also think it's really telling that the term murder must be used very narrowly, since in other passages God frankly tells his followers to kill and enslave neighbouring peoples. Presumeably those killings, as commanded by God, were not believed to be murder.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Some wouldn't...a few here on CM have admitted to that! (scary)

But in all...considering the secular laws predate Christianity...I think humans would know murder was bad without some god telling them as such.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:31 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I don't think it takes a commandment to keep people from murdering someone. Murderers don't have a conscious, they could care less what the Bible says (until they're incarcerated). Most people are decent, caring individuals and murder wouldn't even exist in their mind.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:45 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I think they would eventually learn. Like you murdered some one and their family wanted revenge so they killed the murderers family. Then the original murderer would realize that he should not have done that because he lost his family for his actions and he would probably tell people his tale and word would get around that murdering effects other innocent people too.

But then again people still are murdering today. :(
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 1:42 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My point was that cause and effect would lead people to understand that it was wrong.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 1:46 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• So you think we should not have laws about murder because its common sense not to murder people?
    How about rape or child abuse- common sense right- no law needs to be written to address these issues?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 1:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• everyone knows its wrong, but some do it anyway
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 1:39 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Many humans understood the feeling of loss and pain way before the bible was written which in turn brought upon the fear of death and the thought perhaps that killing isn't something they wish to do. Just because the bible tells me it is against god to kill doesn't mean I wouldnt' feel it is wrong. There is a difference. I know in my heart it is wrong but apparently those who wrote the bible have exceptions to the rule because there is lots of death
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 8:10 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I think morality is a natural state of the Divine given consciousness and humanity instilled in mankind, if that makes sense... One doesn't need religion for morality, though morality is often covered in religion. We also have to remember that, back then, religion was the vehicle through which they covered their entire lives. Their history was tied up in myth and legend, the rules of society were tied in with religious rites, there was not the separation we have today of the spiritual and the "natural". Just because something like "do not murder" is included in a list of religious "laws", it doesn't mean that mankind didn't or couldn't come up with it on our own. It just means that they felt it was important enough to include. Then again, I don't believe in the literalism most do, so I don't believe that the Ten Commandments were given to us directly from God....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:49 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I think morals come from within and are individually based. I also think morals seldom change--if ever.

I think ethics are society's expectations (based on morals). This may be from our religion, government, the company we work for, etc. These are more likely to differ by culture or change over time since they are based on others (i.e. a collection of morals).

I think individuals can come to the conclusion that murder is wrong, and I believe *most* people do. I think a religion can say murder is wrong. I think society or government can say murder is wrong and these are the consequences. I guess the religious guidelines and society's laws just help with those who don't follow this idea of their own accord, but I do find it quite alarming when I hear people say they probably wouldn't be 'good people' or would act differently if they didn't hope for Heaven or fear Hell (or even legal punishment in general).
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2011