I'm about to kill my parrot!!!

He's screaming non stop! its driving me crazy! how do you shut 'em up????

Albi1623

Asked by Albi1623 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Pets

• Unfortunately there isn't much you can do to quiet them. The amount of screaming depends on the species, some birds are more prone to it than others. If it's a highly intelligent bird like an African Grey you could work on his vocabulary more, they tend to scream when they're board. Lots of toys, try to pinpoint what is setting the bird off also. My Jenday used to go insane whenever someone rang the doorbell. And, there's always a little birdie timeout: whenever it starts screeching put a cover over the cage until it pipes down. Good luck!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 12:37 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Cover the cage with a sheet...they think it's nighttime and calm down. Just don't do it all day and night! LOL! what type of parrot is it? He could be bored.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 12:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My friend who has an African grey squirts him with water, or more accurately she threatens to squirt him, all she has to do is pick up the bottle and he says NOOOO and stops what he's doing. I have 3 parakeets that make a ton of noise, when I want' them to shut up I shake a spare lap top charger still in the bag at them and they shut up for about 10-15 minutes. I don't know why it works but I suspect it's the noise the bag makes. It also works to cover thier cage with a blanket.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 12:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Its a maximillion pionus ( soppouse to be the quietest of this species:) He got a ton of toys and he's usually not like that... I wonder can he be affected by the rainny weather?
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• cover the cage
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Does he do it when you leave? I usually leave the radio on for background noise when I am not around to lessen the separation anxiety. Talk to your bird often. Hold him often. Walk around the house with him on your shoulder. (Clip the wings first). They will mimic repetitive noises. Teach him a song or a whistle. Mine can whistle the Andy Griffith theme song. It's hilarious.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 3:03 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I have 3 parrots and when they get noisy and getting on my nerves I cover the cage with a sheet or blanket. It seems to work.
    Xee

Answer by Xee at 3:21 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• ooo you ladies are just so nice. I really hate birds...I am glad for them they can get some love somewhere.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:16 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I always wanted a maxi pionus beacuse i heard they were so quiet. We had a quaker parrot that we had to rehome beacuse of its screaming. Then the screaming turned into flying at you and attacking. crazy bird. I would say try and move toys around and trade different toys out during the week. Also, allow a lot more time outside of the cage. But only allow him out when you catch him being quiet, so it's more of a reward for being such a good bird.
    loriloriaustin

Answer by loriloriaustin at 10:35 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• You cannot shut them up! I have 3 parrots, and once they learn how to scream, they never stop. You have to remember to IGNORE the bad behavior! DO NOT scold them or give them any attention for the bad behavior, this will only encourage them to continue.
    Good luck
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 8:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2008