Is it normal for a 9yr old to be touching herself? adult content

I have a 9yr old little girl, who is mad at the world, mainly her 6yr old sister, anyways she use to want to go to school she couldnt wait but she didnt get to go to kindergarten because we were homeless so she is behind the rest of the kids, and instead of trying she just sits there and day dreams she says because she's bored, she really doesnt have any friends she crys alot at recess cause noone will play with her atleast thats what the only friend she does have tell's me. then when she gets home she hits, yells, and fights with her sister, then my mom tells me the other day she caught her behind the couch with her pants down doing something, but she says she wasnt doing anything? she wont talk to me at all and I cant afford to take her to a doctor . is this normal or i dont know plse help me someone?

alyssbrm

Asked by alyssbrm at 3:05 AM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Depends. While it is normal for little girls and boys to touch themselves and learn their bodies, it could also be a sign of something else. It sounds like you both have been through a lot. I suggest talking to a counselor about it. Better be safe than sorry.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Yeah, it's pretty normal. Just make sure she has a healthy attitude to herself and to her sexuality
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:14 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Yeah, just tell her you want to answer any questions she has and ask her to keep those moments private. Let her know if anything inappropriate happens or anything else you are there for her. Explain it all and give her your attention. You've all been through allot, I think you should be talking to someone anyways, she needs the support and so do you!
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 3:19 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• it depends. i dont want to raise alarm but is it possible she has been touched by someone? the only reason why i say this is because she seems quite mad at the world and angry. i used to touch myself very early in life and i don;t think i was ever touched that early. i just was curious as to what that was and just touched it. it would never bring me much enjoyment just curiosity. if she is touching herself whichi s totally out of the norm and she has displayed other characteristics which aren't normal to her then maybe you could ask her what has happened and why she does it. say to her she is not naughty for doing it but if she wants to she should do it in her own room alone. ask her if anyone has done that to her and that is why maybe she is touching herself? I am sorry if i have raised deep concerns but she exhibits some signs that one would think may be not normal in her circumstances.
    maybe see a school counsellor.
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 3:51 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• It's normal and healthy. The reason so many women have trouble reaching orgasm in adulthood is because they were taught as children to be ashamed and therefor never practiced properly how to get there and are too ashamed to talk to their partner about it. tell her that she needs to go to her room to do that and it's private, she doesn't need to tell other people about it. kinda like pooping, it's natural but you don't want to tell the world. as far as her not having any friends, you should try to help her. show her ways that she can talk to the other kids. let her talk to the school counselor about her problems with the other children. the older kids get, the harder it is for them to become friends with the other kids they grew up with. no child should have to feel the way she does. find out why they are mean to her and try to solve the problem.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 6:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I read in babycenter if im not mistaken that is normal and that they shouldn't be punished for it.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 10:09 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Yes, my 4 yr old does it and when i asked her Dr about it she told me that it feels good to them and not to make a big deal about it. Just make sure to tell her if she feels like she has to do that then she needs to do it in private becaue that is a private thing to do.
    singlemominUSN

Answer by singlemominUSN at 2:48 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I think it's part of being a kid, no matter the age. Exploring themselves and what not. Good luck.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 9:34 PM on Mar. 20, 2011