Religion is an insult to human dignity....

Thoughts?

“Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.”
~Steven Weinberg

l.o.v.e

Asked by l.o.v.e at 4:32 AM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Given the fact that most people get their ideas of right or wrong from religion (which eventually stemmed into politics) I have to fully agree with that statement.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:28 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Good people do bad things for a lot of reasons. Most people are basically good people yet prisons are filled with people who did bad things without religion being the cause.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:13 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• sweepingreligion is a money making business. some people tend to think religion defines who they are.

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 6:34 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• "Religion is an illusion and it derives it's strength from the fact that is falls in with our INSTINCTUAL DESIRES"-the great genius Sigmund Freud. i have a lot of really great and important quotes like this from important scientists memorized
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 7:28 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Look at how many claim their blood shed victory in the name of God! Look how many went to war because of their faith or religion rather!
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 8:08 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Well on that note, I have to get off here and get ready for church.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:29 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I absolutely agree with this quote. Religion is not necessary to be moral, decent, kind and loving but look at all the bad things people have done to each other in the name of god and because of religion...

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:29 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Religion isn't the only ideal that gets taken advantage of to get people to do what you want, though. And even then, its not about the religion, its the manipulation of the religion, that gets people to "do bad things".
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:44 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I'm going to have to completely agree with this! People who don't lead "religious lives" are happier and live their life in a more moral manner than religious people. How? They don't judge others based on their beliefs!
    MaterialGirl198

Answer by MaterialGirl198 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I tend to agree only b/c I think many bad people use religion as an excuse b/c they are mistakenly 'forgiven" for their bad choices and actions. I think bad people are bad...with or without religion. ANd religion gives them a free pass (in their own minds) to continue on that path.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2011