I have a bf question. I recently (about a week) switched my dd from formula to breastmilk. Since being on breastmilk her poop has changed. She used to poop like 6 to 8 diapers a day. Now shes pooping like once every other day or daily. Its a bigger poop than she used to do, but still. Am i doing something wrong?

becca2715

Asked by becca2715 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Since there are no fillers in breastmilk and it's almost completely digested by the baby, it is normal for BF babies to go up to several days between BM's. As long as it's not hard when it comes out, she's not constipated or anything.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Breast milk is digested more and so the baby may not poop as much. Some days my youngest did poop but every other day.
    billynalexmom

Answer by billynalexmom at 2:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• How old is your daughter?
    I BF my kids and I noticed that around 6 weeks, they started pooping much less often than before-like their stomach matured. Drs. told me this was fine as long as baby was gaining normal weight!
    northtexasmomma

Answer by northtexasmomma at 2:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• It sounds about normal. You'll also begin to notice that the poop is sort of mustard colored and doesn't smell as bad. Most of the milk is being digested so there's less poop.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 2:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• nothtexasmomma--My dh is 8 weeks old now.
    becca2715

Answer by becca2715 at 2:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Thats normal.... There is less *waste in BM..
    AnnaBright

Answer by AnnaBright at 2:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Don't worry about the poop. A lot of new mom;s freak out about the poo not coming as often or what they look like, I was just reading about it in American Baby last night. Here's what the magazine told me. Somewhere around 1 month babies have a slow down in bowel movements. As long as the baby is going at least once a week, is not crying or screaming while trying to go, and it's not hard round balls, you have nothing to worry about.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 2:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I was told by my doctor that once every three days as long as it is somewhat soft and no crying is completely safe and normal, regardless of the type of nutrition.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• You can never go wrong with breast milk.
    kristinas8

Answer by kristinas8 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• dont worrie about it, it is just fine your breast milk is just running throgh the baby faster than the formula. but it is just fine my daughter is now 2years and when she was little she did the same thing.
    onwhotmama0721

Answer by onwhotmama0721 at 4:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2008