Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to tell dad to move out without starting an other massive fight

hi I'm 23 yrs old and my father has been living with me for over a yr. He was only ment to stay 6months but he won't leave!!!! He trys to control me and my kids and says the only reason he stays is to help me with rent. I have told him many times that rent isn't an issue with me I can afford it but he just won't bloody leave and to top it off he is lying to me about how much contact hacks having with my first borns father( were going through a custody battle) I told him he need to move out again about a month ago and and I even did some research as a nice thing to do and he didn't want the rental properties wouldn't even look at it and said he has a place he can go so I then said that's fine. He then told me that his boss can give him anappartment rent freer and told me he would be gone at the end of the week. He then told me it wasn't up to his standards so he will get a house him self and be out the following week. Again he still hasn't bloody gone!!!

Please someone give me some advice as to how to get him to leave the nest. Perminantly
Thanks for taking the time to read this xx

Answer Question

Asked by sarahandmark09 at 7:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Relationships

Level 7 (155 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • I cant live with my daughter either.She came back home, and I told her to find another place to live.But we do love each other.As for your father....Just be honest with him.If he gets mad, it doesn't mean you have to get mad too.Start with "Dad I love you but......" and then be honest.Maybe he is doing this thru guilt.Alot of men will try to make up for this or that from the past.And you just cant.

    Answer by evelynwest at 7:19 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

  • Your dad should be proud of how you turned out.To be responsible enough to support him.

    Answer by evelynwest at 7:31 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

  • You will probally just have to keep pushing it and even help him find a place, he is probally comfortable with you and doesn't want to leave. Good luck, things like this are hard when you are dealing with family.

    Answer by jenn4443 at 8:25 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

  • Would it help if you were to pack his bags for him and set them by the door(on the out side)?

    Answer by stitchintime at 8:37 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

  • My fil moved in with us and like u it was supposed to be for a short while. Honestly there isnt much you can do but be forceful and tell him he needs to go at this point. My fil stopped helping with bills, was trying to punish my kids, pushed my 5 yr old, and was being an utter ass. We finally had to just say get the hell out. He didnt want to go either, and I told him he either packed his crap or Id do it for him. He left that night.

    Answer by gemgem at 9:03 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

  • I don't know what country you live in, but if you live in the states and he has lived with you for a year while paying rent, you have a few choices.. You can stand your ground, pack his things, put him in the car and drive him to a hotel, you can tell him that he has 24 hours to leave your house or you will call the police and hope that he doesn't know the law concerning this.. Or you can have him legally evicted and that means going to court.. The police will tell you that you can not just kick him out if he has lived there for over a year.. He will have to be legally evicted.. It doesn't matter if the lease is in your name or not.. Since you are renting, you can try asking your land lord to tell him to leave..

    Answer by Obi.Ren.Kenobi at 9:51 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

  • You need to be firm with him and tell him he needs to go because you need your space and privacy and give him a deal line. If he don't go tell him you don't want to call the law but you will if he don't leave. He will get mad and not talk to you for awhile but he will come around later but at least you will have your life and space back.

    Answer by dusty1962 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

  • I think you should contact a lawyer to find out what the eviction laws are in your state. Then once you know you should tell him that he has 2 choices--- he can either A-- move out on his own by X day, or B-- you will start the process to have him legally evicted. I would also suggest that as soon as he moves out or is evicted that you change your locks-- that way he can't get back in your home. Good luck!

    Answer by MizLee at 4:45 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.