Breastfeeding at 3 1/2 months

it seems that my baby might not be getting enough milk from me. i tried to start to pump some milk on a few occasions . i massage my breasts and also even when just after she fed but only a few drops. i even switched to a smaller funnel and it fit just right but still no steady stream. i'm wandering if i'm even producing enough for her. it seem that she is fussing more and im worried and i really dont want to go to formula. im even drinking more water.

amayer04

Asked by amayer04 at 7:38 AM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• AS long as she is growing and having several wet and at least one dirty diaper a day she is fine. The pump is not NEAR as efficient as a baby. Never try to judge your supply by pump. 3 months is the perfect age for a growth spurt. She may be fussing because she is hungry more often because she is growing! When in doubt try to contact a breast feeding consultant. They are best equip to help you with the details.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:05 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I agree with the first post. Keep attaching her to feed and help you produce more. Don't use the pump unless you need it for seperation purposes.

Ways to increase your supply is to stay hydrated and eat healthy. I find that my milk supply stays steady when I eat oatmeal and drink tea (decaf). Don't starve yourself - if your hungry eat or snack. I eat a little bit all day long. At night I gulp tea whenever I get up to feed my baby or pee.
    Good luck. :)
    Lisa
    LisaNSienna

Answer by LisaNSienna at 8:57 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Mine did the fussing and wanting to nurse constantly when she was going through a growth spurt, and that is what they NEED to do. It helps your body adjust to the increasing demand they have for your milk.

And as the others said, don't worry about the pump.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:26 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• If you are nursing on demand, and you're changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hour period, your supply is fine. Many women find they have poor response to the pump. It doesn't mean anything. The ONLY thing a pump can tell you, is how much you are able to pump. It's possible that the fussiness is a growth spurt or teething. At this point, I would not be worried, I would just continue to nurse on demand. I'd only worry if I saw a decrease in the amount of diaper changes.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Agree with all of the above! Even a great pump will be misleading. your body knows the difference. As long as you keep feeding (even if it seems like you're sitting down to breast feed every hour!) your breasts will adjust to make the right amount of milk. Keep at it momma!
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:26 AM on Mar. 20, 2011