Is 4ozs of breastmilk enough for a 6 month old?

I exclusively BF my 6 month old son, but my breast are a little sore because he is teething, he hasnt bit me he just thinks they are a teething ring, so I used my pumped before I fed him. I was able to pump only 4 ozs. is this enough? He is above the 100th percentile for height and weight and gets enough wet diapers I just thought he would eat more than that, or is it less because its breastmilk, I ff my other 2 kids.

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 8:53 AM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He gets more nursing than you get pumping. Pumping is never a good indicator of how much your child is getting from you. I breastfed my first 4 for a year and never got more than an ounce or two when I pumped. That being said, my daughter switched from breastfeeding to formula at 6 months and she would never take more than 4 oz at a feeding but she's tiny (at 8 months she's now almost 14 lbs).

Answer by missanc at 8:55 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• i've always been told that breastfed babies should get nor more then 1.5 oz to 2 oz at a time. most of that reason is they normally (NORMALLY) take in less then you think they do. because your breastmilk changes to be exactly what baby needs right then and there your baby needs less then you'd think.
    Liebevoll_mami

Answer by Liebevoll_mami at 9:14 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Breastfed babys usually take around 4 oz at a time... they take smaller amounts more often. With my son he didn't take more than 4 oz of expressed milk until he was around 10 months.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:31 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• First and foremost, all kids are different. Given the fact he is in the 100 th percentile, I don't think id worry to much. Read his signs, he will let you know if he isn't getting enough. I have an almost 5 month old and she had bee eating 6am oz of formula with rice cereal mixed in it. And she is obly in the 60 th percentile for her weight and height. If he gets fussy, try pumping again, out the other breast and see how much ya get. :)
    clariturner

Answer by clariturner at 10:00 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Baby needs 1 to 1.25 oz of breast milk per hour in a bottle. So, if you're nursing, and just gave an occasional bottle, 4 oz is plenty, if you'll be nursing again in a couple hours, kwim?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:00 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My dd drinks at least 5oz shes 6 months old you could pair it with some cereal, but just so you know giving them a bottle instead of nursing will eventually drop your supply. If he's not nursing don't let him just pacific or use you as a teething ring give him an actual one. My dd does this too, if shes not hungry shes not getting a boob lol.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Oh, and the amount of expressed milk that baby needs doesn't change, the MILK changes. I always advise moms to leave 1 to 1.25 oz per hour of separation, and offer 2-3 oz every 2-3 hours. That holds for the whole time baby takes bottles, etc. The amount is the same for a 3 mo old as it is for a 9 month old.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I'm not switching to a bottle permanetly I'm just sore, so it was only for 1 feeding. And it was the middle of the night when he was trying to use me as a teething ring and everytime I tried to give him his binki he screamed and I didnt want him to wake his sisters. Thank you everyone for your advice!
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 10:25 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• If he is gaining enough weight, he is fine. And he gets more than you pumping. They know how to work your boob. =D
    kimandeverrett

Answer by kimandeverrett at 4:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2011