Do I bring my kids' to my Uncle's Viewing/Funeral?

They are only 2 & 1. I'd rather NOT bring them, just because I am going to be so emotional, as well as everyone else, and I don't want to have to keep running after them and so forth, dealing with more added stress. BUT it is there great Uncle, and I know he would want me to bring them, he loved my girls, even though he didn't get to see my oldest as much as he wanted. (he didnt get to meet my youngest) I just don't know what to do. He's having a viewing, and then day after the viewing being cremated, i'm not sure if there having a funeral for that.

knicole0708

Asked by knicole0708 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I wouldnt bring them if I could help it. Thats to young and kids that age dont understand the need to be REALLY quiet in a funeral home.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:21 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I am so sorry for your loss. They are too young to go to a viewing. They have no concept of death yet. Take comfort in the knowledge he loved them and they enjoyed him.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:29 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I never take my kids to funerals or viewings. I try and explain death to them the best I can for their age, and when they are older or older enough then they can go to funerals if they want to. In fact, I dont even go to them.

Answer by gemgem at 9:26 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• No, I would not bring children that young to a funeral/viewing or the like.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• That young, I would not bring them unless an older relative expressly asked. My daughter was about 1 when my husband's Aunt passed away and his grand parents (parents of the Aunt) expressly asked us to bring her. Remember funerals are for the living and having small children there could be an irritant.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:28 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• EXACTLY What elizabr said... I too am sorry for your loss, let them stay home.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:57 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Depends on how old they are. Mine are 11 and 14. I still don't bring them. I don't think it's necessary for kids to be there.

Sorry to hear that.
    Jerzymom

Answer by Jerzymom at 10:01 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• i wouldnt bring them,,. they are to young to be there and will not grasp the situation... leave the with a sitter so you can grieve in peace
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I would take them. I always took my oldest to funerals (no one has died since my youngest was born). He was actually a little under 2 when my uncle passed. He understood what was going on to an extent. So I took the time to sit down with him and explain how my uncle wasn't coming back. Yes it got to him, but death is part of life. I do not believe in sheltering children from it. Plus, honestly, everyone was always glad to see my son at funerals. It brought a sign of happiness to all the sadness.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:17 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Don't.

Not appropriate for ones so little.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:14 AM on Mar. 20, 2011