My baby has had a fever for going on 4 days now. The Dr. checked her out good and said it is just a cold. But, 4 days seems like a long time. Should I call the on call Dr or wait until Monday? Any ideas to get a fever down other than luke warm baths, tylenol, and cool wash cloth on her head?

jwindpta

Asked by jwindpta at 9:23 AM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Fevers of what temps? Under 100.5 will not harm the child

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:24 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• You looking for a MAGIC cure? You just named ALL the things to bring a fever down. After 4 days and still having a fever Id be calling the Dr back and asking more questions. 4 days it should have gone down or gone away.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:25 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I was going to ask the same thing as butterflyblue19. What is the fever? That would determine what I would do.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• 4 days is typical for a viral illness... if it's over 101 for more than 5 days then I would have her checked out again... if the temps are low grade then I wouldn't worry about them at all.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:28 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My 7 year old had a fever over 103.8 (got as high as 104.3..was brought down to 101 with Tylenol) for 7 days. It was a virus, there was NOTHING you could do for her but make her comfortable. My skinny little girl lost a bunch of weight and was skeletal when she went back to school, but 3 weeks later ( and a lot of pediasure to supplement her diet because it took 2 weeks to get her appetite back) she is up and running and just fine.

Fevers are more scary than dangerous. If you see changes like green gooey nose discharge, tugging on ears etc, that could indicate the viral (cold) infection has turned into bacterial and antibiotics may be needed

pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 9:37 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• how high is it going? MY kids all have had Roseola , they run high fever for about a week, then it falls rapidly and a flat red rash comes up. No way to cure it, has to run its course. My oldest son ran 103 all week, then it went to 105.6 and I ran him to ER, they gave him tylenol and put him on ice, his temp dropped so fast his little fingers turned blue! He is a happy, healthy 22yr old now!
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 9:39 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Her temps go anywhere from normal (after fever reducer) to 103.0. I guess I am kinda looking for a magic cure-lol. Fevers just make me so nervous and I feel so bad for her. I can tell she doesn't feel good and just want to do everything I can to make her feel better. The fever reducer helps but how many days can I just keep giving it to her?
    jwindpta

Comment by jwindpta (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I always like Motrin better than Tylenol.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:41 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Thanks for all the reassurance and advice everyone!
    jwindpta

Comment by jwindpta (original poster) at 9:53 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I wanted to add that a cold, per my pediatrician, can last for up to two weeks.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:21 AM on Mar. 20, 2011