Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

7 Bumps

Custody question

if you are fighting for custody of your son ,who already is with you and always been .
and the father has drug charges on him from another state . can it be (can you use it)  used against him in child custody ?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (7)
  • Not unless YOU want to ask the judge and PAY for a new drug test to prove he's still using. The judge wont consider his record unless it is very recently.

    Answer by vbruno at 9:55 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

  • Yes you can bring it in to the court and they will consider it.


    Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

  • i think u can.... if u have a lawyer i would ask them

    Answer by zperez0809 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

  • Unless he is still using drugs then it wouldnt be in your best interest. Now days with the fathers rights movement making such great strides anything negative brought into court against either parent is looked down upon unless it directly affects the child & how the child is cared for. So, if he is still on drugs and you want to establish a pattern, then sure. If he hasnt used drugs in awhile & can pass a drug test, then no. Itll make you look vindictive.

    Answer by gemgem at 9:58 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

  • I was in the same situation. But my situation was the father hit me while under the influence in front of my child. And it was definately able to be used. Now im sure you could bring it up if he is still using, but if he is clean it will be hard to use it now.

    Answer by jmgblair10 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

  • i think you can if its recent charges but if it really old and he has since cleaned up his act then you might tread lightly.....

    Answer by cara124 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

  • i would be careful what you try to use against him in a custody battle. you might wind up with weekend or no custody if you use old or false information. that would be bad. though im against taking full custody from the father unless he is a total scumbag. im really against child support. too many mothers have abused that right and the kid never gets any of it.

    Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 1:58 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.