Whining

my son is 3 1/2 years old and constantly whines and cries... does this ever stop.... i cant take it anymore

zperez0809

Asked by zperez0809 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• no they will always be whining for something
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• It only stops if you don't pay attention to him while he does it. My son was doing the same thing and I stopped catering to his whines and only got him what he wanted when he asked nice. I also awarded him when he didn't whine. I would say good job you didn't whine and give him something. Nothing big but just a special treat.
    jnb71584

Answer by jnb71584 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• It can lessen if you do like jnb says and not cater, but the odds of it stopping completely are low. I don't cater or listen to whining and my 9 year old still tries to whine and get his way.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• jnb is right on. We are working on this with my LO. She is four. I find it very helpful to tell her exactly why she is not getting what she is asking for. Because she is whining or crying. If it gets out of hand, she goes in time out. It is working but it is a slow process. I have a hard time getting my husband not to respond to the whining and not to get in a battle of the wills with her. Then I have two out of controls.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:20 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• It's partly an age thing, it's partly because it's working for him. My kids are 7 1/2 and 4 and both still whine. The older one usually when he's tired. The younger because she just turned four. One thing that has had an effect in our house is to tell the whining child that Mommy doesn't hear/listen to whining, then walk away. They usually stop whining within minutes and try asking for what the want instead.

It's a hard, stressful road for us Moms (and dad's too), but you are by no means alone in having your ears whined off.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:11 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I told mine "I don't hear you when you whine. Talk right" then ignore them until they do.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 11:22 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• As a former teacher and grandmother of nine I offer the following suggestion: Frequently it helps for children to be read fun-stories that illustrate the unpleasantness of bad behavior and ways to correct it. For instance, sometimes children don’t understand how annoying the sound of whining can be. "Peter and the Whimper-Whineys" by Sherrill S. Cannon is a story of a little rabbit who does nothing but whine. This rhyming book should be read with alternating normal voice and whining voice, according to the character speaking. Children learn that Whimper-Whineyland is not a fun place to be, not just for all the whining and crying that goes on but for all the other bad behavior and unpleasant character traits exemplified!!! My just-turned-three year old grandson loves the book, and repeats “no more whining, no more crying!” I hope this book might help your child as well as it has helped my children and grandchildren.
    Grandmother9

Answer by Grandmother9 at 3:51 PM on Mar. 25, 2011