If it's not my gall bladder what can it be?

I was in the hospital over the weekend with severe stomach pains. Its at the very top of my stomach between my ribs and radiates under them on the right side. So they did a sonogram and xrays and i think its called a hydroscan where they see the gallbladder in action. Nothing came up. I mean this pain is like the peak of a contraction! As soon as the dye got to my gallbladder I had pain so severe.
There were no gallstones found on the sonogram though.

TinaFabulous

Asked by TinaFabulous at 12:58 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Health

• I think you need to keep having them check it. My back was hurting sooooo bad when my gallbladder was acting up. I didn't have a temp, or vomiting or any other symptoms, just back pain. The doctors kept acting like it was no big deal. I was in agony. After one ultrasound they said I only had a few gallstones. BUT I went to a different hospital and they did another ultrasound and they saw that my gallbladder was enlarged. When the doctor went in to operate he had full intentions of doing it laparoscopically. He opened me up and it was so bad he had to do it the old fashioned way, with a full incision and everything. I still can't figure out how the first ultrasound tech missed it!!!

evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 1:07 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I agree with PP, it doesn't have to be gallstones. It could be other issues with the gallbladder. Did they check to see at what percentage the gallbladder is functioning? Gallstones can also be TINY and not viewable by ultrasound. They still hurt. Go see your regular doctor and/or have him refer you to a specialist. I hope you feel better. Avoid fatty foods, too-- anything gallbladder related does not do well with fat!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:22 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• thanks ladies. Yes the hydro scan tested the function and everything made it through within the hour. My ex-MIL had hers taken out from the pain. no gallstones either. When they took it out it was diseased inside!
    TinaFabulous

Answer by TinaFabulous at 1:35 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• It could also be just really bad gas pains. I had those pains. there was a night that i woke up at least 5 times because how bad my stomach hurt. So i went to my dr. and she asked some questions... She told me that If i can get in a warm bath and the pain goes away. it is just gas pains.

Do you have pain that goes to your back? or is it just in your stomach?
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:07 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Don't forget, you have a lot of intestines and they wrap around the whole abdomen area. It could be something intestinal that's causing the pain. I'd talk to the doctor about further testing.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• One time I had pain on the right side of my abdomen so severe that I was nauseated. I called my doctor who had me come right in. Long story short, it ended up being an infection in my intestines. How that even happened I don't know, but with medications and time it was taken care of.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:09 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• i had the same pains you had. but also in my back. it was my gallbladder. the pain hurt so bad i would lose my breath. I had it all through my pregnancy. After my delivery it got worse. by the time i could have it out a gallstone reached my pancreas. i ended up with gallstone pancreatitis which felt like i was having a heart attack. i had to wait three days for the amylase levels to go down and then they took it out. thank god!!! i would get tested again just to be safe. gallbladder problems can led to more serious health issues and the pain is horrible. I wish you the best of luck.
    myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I have an appt dec 2nd with the surgeon to complete a third test to see if it's my gall bladder. I am also making an appt with my primary if the surgeon can't figure things out. I also have an appt for an internal sonogram (for an unrelated issue) but it may shed some light on any problems in my lower area. While I was in the hospital they checked my liver, pancrease, gall bladder and small intestine. I havent released any gas in 4 days and it doesnt feel the same as gas. I dont have any other symptoms. no vomiting or diahhrea.
    TinaFabulous

Answer by TinaFabulous at 8:24 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• It IS your gall bladder. What they did to you was CAUSE a gall bladder attack. I bet you find out that it isn't functioning properly. I had the same issue they never saw stones, but when they did the dye, it was terrible. I ended up with it out and I fell so much better. GOOD LUCK
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:21 AM on Nov. 26, 2008