Who else is a dispatcher for 911/police department?

I recently got hired and I could use a few tips on dispatching. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• What an interesting career! Did you need a degree? If so, what type?
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:39 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Isn't there some training that they send you to first?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:12 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Hi Nakoal...I am a Deputy Sheriff and 911 Dispatcher. I'm more than happy to answer any questions...give me a shout! And congrats on your new position.!!
    sonja911

Answer by sonja911 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My husband is a EMT/FF he says : Speak clearly, give them as much info. as you know, and please try not to give attitude because afterall they only know what you know till they get there. :) Heehee. ( i think you should be cautious of thier attitudes though, some of them can be such grumps- this includes my husband ;) lol) Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, congrats on the new job! :) Take Care!
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Well that should be a "never a dull moment" kind of job. Good luck to you!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Thank you for all of your feedback. It is an interesting job and never a dull moment and I love it but it definitely isn't cut out for everyone. And Rosehawk I only dispatched for a towing company before this job so I did not have much experience... WORLD of difference!!!! But they are sending me to a class before long but I had hands on training on the job first. Orions girl, no I did not need a degree. It was preferable but not required. So far so good though!
    nakoal87

Comment by nakoal87 (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Mar. 27, 2011