Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What now?

Christmas is fast approaching and my husband and I are broke. Not an uncommon senario I know. He is is the army and is a pfc and I am a stay at home mom to our one year old twins and we are almost 5 months into baby number 3 (before you judge on that issue my BCP didn't work). And now due to some issues our car insurance company wants 1200 for 6 mo of car insurance up front. That is almost an entire mo pay after you figure in the car payment... So we have been scraping by but can't do it anymore. Even on the normal salary once we bought diapers, wipes, healthy food for the boys, and milk that leaves me and hubby on ramen noodles. We've thought about food stamps but I think he may make too much. If anyone could please give some advice or encouragement I would love you forever for it because right now I feel like I'm drowning.

Answer Question

Asked by mrs.Luxton at 1:08 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Even if you think you may make too much find out if you can! It won't hurt! Also, check your local churches they could probably help you out with food too!

    Answer by businesswife1 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

  • You would probably have a better chance at getting WIC than food stamps, that's about the only thing I can offer as advice. I know around here the military really sticks together and they a lot of programs they do amongst themselves so finding a support group on your base may help.

    Answer by Slinkee at 1:10 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

  • Yeah doll, look into food stamps, you would be so suprised how many military families are getting extra government help. Trust me, we've been there. It's so silly how people think those in the military make so much. It's total bull. Most people are just scraping by.
    Also if I were you I'd be shopping around for different insurance. Try Geico, they offer military discounts....
    Let me know if you need to talk or need help. I'm always full of ideas. :)

    Answer by evilabbysmom at 1:14 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

  • Make sure you get your prenatal pills since your diet may be lacking nutrients if you have not been eating well. You want your baby to be healthy. There is help available to you. Seek it! Do not be embarrassed. And things will get better. Also, you can get both food and presents from charities, so you can eat and have gifts for your kids. Perhaps skip the presents for the adults this time around. It is more important that the kids feel it is a wonderful Christmas. That being said, Christmas has become much too materialistic. Since your kids are so little, they probably will not notice if there are not very many presents for them. My heart goes out to you. Hang in there, and please seek help so you can get decent food on the table. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

    Answer by MomAgainAgain at 1:23 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

  • If you have young kids then WIC is a good option also try food stamps if they turn you down thats not the end of the world and if they accept you then that will help a lot.

    Answer by youngarmywife at 1:32 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

  • You would qualify for food stamps most likely. There's a tool online you can google "food stamp calculator" and probably find it. Also you might want to look into a home based job. PM me if you're interested (no fees)

    Answer by customcat2000 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

    This is a chart that tells you what you would have to make in order to qualify
    i hope it helps


    Answer by youngarmywife at 1:35 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

  • you could look into wic but that is only going to give you a limited amount cheese,eggs,milk cereal and juice i would look into food stamps you'd be surprised . good luck

    Answer by jodi205 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.