I thought all medications had child proof caps?

Went to my mother's house the other day with fam. My ds opened my father's medication that was on the kitchen table. It blew my mind that he could even open it. Yes it was out so as it's easier to remember to take. And they don't see them often so who would have thought to child proof the house. I keep our meds out of reach. I thought that all meds came with the safety caps?

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 11:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Health

• No not all are. My mil didnt have ones with safety caps because she didnt have small kids in her house so there wasnt a point. When my dh and I met she had to remember to put up all her meds and change the caps around when she got the new batch the next month. Its very common for people not to have them believe it or not. It is easier for them to open, and if they dont have little kids around much they dont think twice about it.

Answer by gemgem at 11:10 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• You can request that your scripts have regular tops
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:09 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• maybe they were not closed all the way
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:09 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• most do! but i have also found out my mom has some that dont! so keep a good eye out! i think it depends on the drug thats in the bottle! like tums does not have one!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• not all do
    shadowia

Answer by shadowia at 11:11 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• elderely usually request them not to be because its difficult for them to open them. Even child proof caps are so child proof, my 18 month old figured out how to undue a bottle of motrin (thankfully it was empty). Next time I would just move them or watch the child more carefully
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:12 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• No they don't, and my kids can all open "child proof" caps anyway - nothing has ever been child proof to them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• @ Sabrena,,,, I do watch him. It never dawned me that they would be there. With everything else he could have gotten into, he chose that. Not that I want him into anything...

Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• You can request non-child proof caps at the pharmacy, but I keep all my medicines up and out of reach, because my sister, at age 3 or 4, climbed up on the kitchen table and drank an entire bottle of benadryl. It had a child proof cap on. Scary.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:17 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• We request non-child-proof caps on our medications because we have no young children in our house anymore, so yes, you can get prescription medications without them. You can even buy some pain relievers without the child-proof caps, primarily those meant for people with arthritis, because having arthritic hands can make it very difficult, if not impossible, to open a standard child-proof cap.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:50 AM on Mar. 20, 2011