Leap Frog's Leap Pad or Hooked on Phonics? Which is better a better buy since they each have pos & neg?

Can't put a price on education but would like to invest in the better product. I found writing pads and reading books with both companies. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Mar. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• go with leap frog b/c it works on reading and math in a fun way. plus, hooked on phonics isn't all it's cracked up to be...not all kids can learn to read through a purely phonics based program...they need a good mix of phonics and whole language.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• i got both girls leapsters when they where younger and dd 13 still has hers (i think its like 7yrs old) and they worked great
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• We got Leapsters for both of our kids. They are for 4-8 year olds, and have enough educational games to appeal to every kid. And, the leapsters are durable. I don't know how many times the toys have been dropped or kicked down a hall.

Besides I just can't get; hukt on fonics werkt for me, out of my head.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:30 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• we have the tag and really enjoy it
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 11:38 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My son as a leap frog diji, He also has a leap frog mobigo with game cartridges, and he has a v-tech. I havant found anything wrong with anyone of them except for the diji because you have to keep hooking it up to the computer to tune it up and that get kind of annoying.

BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I am using Hooked on Phonics with my son who is four. It is perfect fit for him. My father-in-law bought it for us so that is why we have it. But I am definitely going to be buying the next level and continuing it. We had some leap frog games and such but I just sold them. I really don't feel the need to start them on any type of electronic game when they are little, even if it is educational.
    Anonymous

• So who was working with her while you were working all the time?? What did they use?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Sorry if this is a little off topic, but a few months ago, based on a friend's recommendation, I started my son on an online program called Reading Kingdom and he is doing extremely well with it. It's based on a new theory of reading education by a reading specialist named Dr. Marion Blank from Columbia University. My son really loves it and asks to do it on his own - which to me is amazing given his previous history. It's worth a look.
    cjcj2000

Answer by cjcj2000 at 12:21 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• We had neither. My daughter had two, full time working parents, no electronics, and was reading by her fourth birthday

Answer by rkoloms at 5:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2011