How do you discipline your 21month old?

My son i guess is at the beginning of the terrible two's and has started acting out a little bit more, like i have noticed sometimes he will hit or throw his cars and i have tried to calmly tell him no that hurts, you need to be gentle. And have also tried firmly telling him that he cant do that and have even resulted to spanking his hand before when he pulls my hair and has the death grip and wont let go. But everything he just thinks is funny and its a game. I have also tried time out and he thinks its funny as well or he crys and throws a fit but then just continues to do what he was doing to get him in time out. So i was just wondering if you had any advice? He is such a good boy and i know he isn't trying to be mean i just want to stop his behavior before it gets to a point where it's out of hand...

katie11908

Asked by katie11908 at 12:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I use time outs for both of my boys they are 4 yrs and 20 months. Time outs are effective with my 20 month old and most of the time with my 4 yr old but sometimes I have to also take a favorite toy away for a day.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:14 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I personally don't believe in time-outs for children under 2, and I have my reasons. At 21 months I used lots of re-direction and distraction. If my son threw a car I would tell him once we don't throw, and give it back. If he threw it again then the car became mine for a bit (like 10 minutes because he'd forget about it anyways) and we'd find a new toy. Typically if my son was throwing things he was tired or frustrated, so naps would often follow the behavior, or I'd physically move him to a new toy to relieve the frustration. If he pulled, pinched, bit, I would attempt to explain calmly but sternly how that caused ouchies and was not ok, but it wasn't until I demonstrated the behavior back that he "got it". Like when he pinched, I pinched back, only not nearly as hard. Then explained see, that hurts mommy and you, it's not funny. We talked about causing boo boo's and how it made mommy sad and he didn't repeat.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2011