BOYS and Potty Training

how long did it take to potty train your boys? What were/are some techniques you use/used that were successful?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It took me about 6 months. The one that finally worked for us was the "naked technique". After we started that it took about 2 months. The only problem with that is he couldnt wear underwear even with shorts and pants. If I put them on he would pee in them like it was a diaper. It took a few months for him to wear underwear and know not to potty in them either. Once he was completely potty trained I still waited a little longer to not have a diaper on at night. about 2 weeks Now he has had one accident in 3 months. He will be 3 at the end of April. Also sits to potty. So my next thing of training is standing to potty but I think Im going to wait a good 6 months for that. :) hope this helped.

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I didn't even start with my son until he turned 3 and IMHO it helped a lot! He was trained in less than a month becaue he was physically ready. I also gave up on pull ups early except at night. Too much like diapers so he thought nothing of peeing in them. Peeing in his underwear had immediate consequences...running down his leg and having to be washed up and changed and all that was more inconvenient to him than going on the potty.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 12:42 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• It was a slow process. I think he was daytime potty trained by his 3rd birthday. And he finally pooped on the toilet around age 3 1/2, but he still can't make it all night without having an accident, so we wake him up once, usually around midnight and that usually works okay. We used potty books, rewards (pennies, m&m, stickers, etc) and lots of praise/patience.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 12:42 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Thanks ladies my son sits to go potty also my oldest did the same when we were potty training him and now he stands to go. I know people say that the pull-ups are just like diapers and a waste of time we have regular undies for him during the day time but it is the nighttime also that I have questions about.
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Use pullups for the night time until he is consistently dry in the morning. It can take a long time to be dry at night. it is completely different than being dry during the day. I have known kids to be 6, 8, even 10 before they can be dry at night. their bodies have to mature.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My son is 2 1/2 and is fully day trained for potty and poops but still needs a diaper at night. It took us 2 weeks.
    We used candy to start with as a reward... jelly beans... 1 for an attempt, 2 for a potty and 3 for a poop.... later we moved on a sticker chart with some of his favorite stickers like Thomas so he was pretty excited.
    We use undies at home but pull ups for outings... I'm not brave enough to go without.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:46 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I started with him around 2 but didnt force it, started doing it more regularly at 2 1/2. We would have a couple days a week where he wore only underwear, he would be able to go most days without wetting himself at all but it was hard as he was back n forth between my house & my ex who refused to help potty train. By 3 years he was potty trained during the day and we put off night time as we were going on vacation for a month, driving cross country & moving so waited til things settled. At 3 1/2 day 1 of trying he was potty trained through the night. I NEVER used pull ups, dont like them-its essentially another diaper and for me is stupid because the kids know they can potty in it. My son hated the feeling of wetting his underwear, he had accidents at home then learned from it. My son always lets me know when hes ready for things, I don't force it and he still learns things in good time if not earlier than most
    TattooedMama87

Answer by TattooedMama87 at 3:17 PM on Mar. 20, 2011