Bill me later?

So, I'm working on doing some early Christmas shopping and several places seem to have the option that if you spend a certain amount of money you can chose the "Bill me later" option and not pay for 90 days or so. Is this a good idea or not?

Madalynns_mom07

Asked by Madalynns_mom07 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Shopping

• NOT a good idea in my book....if you don't have it in the bank, don't spend it. 90 days comes really quickly.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 1:36 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Me personally, if I have the money I pay for it now.
    Anonymous

• Most of those bill me later deals are to get you to sign up for a credit card. Then you have people pulling your credit which is also going to lower your score. I agree, if you have the money pay now.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:38 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Bill Me Later is no different than using a credit card.If you go to Bill Me Later.com, you'll see there are around 800 merchants that offer this payment option. Like everyone else, some merchants offer special payment deals.
    maggiesmom415

Answer by maggiesmom415 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• yeah i agree, that 90 days comes really quickly then IF you have the money for it saved NOW then you can but if you dont think you would have it saved up when it comes then i wouldnt, that honestly would be too hard for me to do it then i just rather get it done and over with now
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• only spend what you actually have in your account or you will over spend...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:45 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Nope, don't do it. You tend to spend more than you would by paying as you go, and it will all catch up with you sooner that you expect. If you don't have the cash now, what's the guarantee you will when the bill comes? We only buy with cash that's anything... groceries, clothes, car, gifts, whatever. Makes life much simpler and stress-free.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 3:22 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Look at the fine print. Does interest build up and become payable at 91 days? Is there any kind of penalty for paying early? Do you have the money now and it's in an interest baring account? If you think that it might be for you do it only if you have the money to spend now and mark it down as spent. The only time I choose this option is when I am buying a magazine subscription.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:21 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Bad Idea.
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I wouldn't do it, If you do that in a lot of places it will hit all at once.
    Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 6:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2008