Relocation Advice (for custody/parenting plan)

I am looking to relocate with my daughter. Right now her father sees her twice a week. The move will only put us 4 hours away. It is to move to the city were my fiance is stationed. I do not want the move to take away the time that my daughter spends with her dad. So right now my thought would be instead of the week spread out over the month maybe once a month dropping her off on a Sunday (for example) and they she can stay the entire week with her dad. Then of course he gets his holidays with her and such. I have no desire to stop them seeing each other. She loves her daddy. But I am just trying to find a way to still be able to have the stable family with the man I am engaged to. So out of all of that I guess my question is that if anyone does a longer distance parenting plan, how do you go about it? I am open for ideas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• How will that work with school???
    Anonymous

• If you visitation in papers, you need to go back to court I'm sure. It would be in your best interest to have a sit down talk with her father. If he isn't for it, I wouldn't do it. JMO.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Good question. She is not in school yet. Her age may have helped. She is 18 months old. Just a very smart, alert 18 months. When schooling comes around it will probably go to him seeing her weekends and then definitely breaks, a long time in the summer, etc. But I have quite a few years before that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I think that would be too hard on her to for one week out of the mo to live over there, so far from mom. Every other weekend, with a week or 2 extra in the summer (but not 2 wks in a row), maybe a week near Christmas and one near Easter.... The week long visits waiting till she is older(4 or 5) Would be better for her head.  I say this as someone who grew up w/ divorced parents, the back and forth is just hard on kids...I've been there.

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• That is a great short term plan and I am assuming the child is young and not in school? You would be better off to go for joint custody with him having every other weekend and just some extended time in the summer. Maybe he can take her all summer, with you have every other weekend visits then.

Answer by gemgem at 1:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Why not keep your current home, and alternate weeks in the home with your ex?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:45 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Long distance usually dictates that he get one weekend a month and about 75% of the summer, however you could try doing EOW and then it usually just continues throughout the summer. I agree with one of the previous posters, what about school? I am assuming she is not in now, but she will be sooner or later and that will cause another problem then.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2011