My daughter is a thumb sucker.....

Every time she isn't talking or eating (and sometimes when she is), she's sucking her thumb. I need a dignified way on helping her stop before she ruins herself....well her teeth anyway. No hot sauce, she sucks it so much that the thumb is raw and hot-sauce makes it burn!

mommy2_twins

Asked by mommy2_twins at 1:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Wrap her thumbs or hands in gauze?? Hot sauce really does work, and the burn may just keep her from sucking. But man, cant think of any other way short of tying her wrists to her pants to keep her from putting it in her mouth.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:17 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Leave her alone. Thumb sucking is a comfort for some kids. She will stop when she is ready. The more you draw attention to it, the more she will suck her thumb. I have NEVER seen a child walking across the stage to get their HS diploma sucking their thumb.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Good point...
    mommy2_twins

Comment by mommy2_twins (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Ive seen this stuff at Walgreen's on the baby isle for thumb suckers. I dont know how or if it works but maybe someone else knows what i am talking about. Or you can just go in Walgreen's to see what i am talking about.

BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I'm not sure how old she is, but trying too hard to stop something backfires. There is a small percentage of people who never stop thumb sucking, but most do eventually. Don't let her know how much you want her to stop.
    tastymama

Answer by tastymama at 2:24 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• She will stop eventually. I sucked my thumb until I was almost 12 years old! lol. I only did it when I was watching a movie or trying to sleep. My teeth are fine. As long as her teeth seem to be doing ok, I wouldnt worry about it too much. Good luck!
    merandaobrien

Answer by merandaobrien at 2:29 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Thank you ladies.... maybe I am putting too much into it. Her dad says the same thing, leave her alone and when she's ready she will stop. But i'm thinking about the dental bill...lol! Braces are not cheap or fun~
    mommy2_twins

Comment by mommy2_twins (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Mar. 20, 2011