How can I get my husband to tell his mom to lay off?

My MIL has always been against me. She changes her mood at the flip of a switch. We haven't spoken or seen her since March of this year and she just called wanting to see the kids. My kids don't want to see her. My husband and I don't speak ill about her when the kids are around but they have been present when she has said negative things towards me. My husband won't stand up to her and the rest of the family tells me not to say anything cuz it will just make things worse. I don't know how worse things can get. Is anyone in or has been in similar situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in About CafeMom

• I feel your pain! My MIL has done the same things to me. You might say worse. When my daughter was one, she left her in the tub & my 2 yr. old son turned on the hot water & my daughter got 2nd & 3rd degree burns! She had to have surgery, was in the hospital for a month, home health for 2 & weekly trips to the hospital 120 miles away. Now she acts like she's not responsible. Not to mention the way she critisizes me & some of the things she has said that has hurt. And I'm expected to keep my mouth shut! My husband won't stand up to her, either. I have yet to figure out a solution. She lives 5 min. away, so I always have to deal w/ her w/ a smile on my face. Sorry I don't have much advice, but it's always nice to know you're not the only one in a situation! Good Luck!
    seabaugh6

Answer by seabaugh6 at 12:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Thank you for sharing you MIL story. It is nice to know I'm not the only one in this situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• what makes it ok for her to be rude to you? stand up for yourself, this is your life your talking about, if she dont show you the respect you deserve than you need to tell her what will be tolerated and what will not and if she cant behave like an adult she is not welcome. and if your kids dont even want to see her dont force them, as for the rest of the fam let them do what they want but dont stand for this woman to rule your life.
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2008