What gives you the right to make choices for others?

Be it whether or not two consenting adults can be legally joined together.

Or whether or not a woman has a choice as to what she can do with her own body?

Or whether or not a grown adult wants to smoke marijuana?

What gives you the right?

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 1:50 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Ok jellyphish....you want to "survive" on your own. If the gov. didnt regulate food and drugs then we would seriously be in a pickle. You think you see a lot of recalls now? People would be dying left and right from bad drugs or bad food. Thank Goodness the Gov. takes care of some issues.

Sorry, there's a BIG difference between regulating goods and regulating individuals' personal lives.

jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 1:05 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• If I pay taxes in this society, some of my tax dollars go to things like security, fire protection, police patrol, jails and prisons. When the morals of a society are not in the toilet, we don't have to spend so much on police and prison, and drug control. So, with my tax dollars and my vote I have the right to do so. Get moral, Get lower taxes.
    Anonymous

• B/C those choices.....(sometimes) affect MANY others....including me and my family......

How dare others belive they have "earned" the right to do whatever the heck they feel like and endanger my families life....( like drunk or drugged driving)

Other choices such as abortion also involve another.....the unborn baby.....

People do not live in the world all alone.....their choices affect others!!!!!
    Anonymous

• why would it effect you if two consenting adults no matter the race religion or origin effect you?
    Anonymous

• I was speaking mainly about drugs and drunkeness.....

I dont care what two consenting adults do together....as long as its not shoved down my throat.
    Anonymous

• Because religious people like to insist that everyone else lives by their moral code, even if their moral code changes in order to fit whatever they happen to like doing at the moment. Things like owning slaves, marrying little girls, stoning people to death, burning people at the stake, killing their daughters for speaking to a boy of the wrong religion, blowing people up (I think I covered a variety of religions there). Basically, people who believe their way is the only way believe they have the right to force everyone else to conform.
    Anonymous

• Someone made the decision that your neighbor cannot go to your house and kill you without any consequences. Aren't you glad? There are some things that are just wrong!
    Anonymous

• OMG....anon at 2:08 I am religious and those things are HORRIBLE....

Non- religious people "insist" that if we dont believe as you then we must hate everything and everyone...

I do not believe homosexuality is right.....BUT BUT BUT I could be friends with a gay person just as easily as I could be friends with another person.

Jesus taught us to love ALL....not pick and choose....,

I feel as though I am being forced to conform to YOUR ideas of what should be right.....cant you see from my side.....
    Anonymous

• I don't believe I have the right to make choices for others. Does my government have a right to put regulations on them, yes. Do they have a right to request that I care for them medically with my taxes, yes. Prisoners get medical help. So if someone has an illegal abortion (let's say for the sake of argument that abortion was illegal) do I not have to pay for a badly botched abortion. No? That's just inhumane. So I say give a woman a right to choose what they want to do with their body so that they will not need further medical attention then is necessary. Last time I checked the taxes don't pay for abortion except under circumstance such as the mother's life, rape, or incest...am I wrong?
    TwocutiesMumma

Answer by TwocutiesMumma at 2:13 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• how would gay marriage contribute to crime?

and marijuana consumption:
    1. takes place, either legal or not
    2. ≠ drugged driving
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:14 PM on Nov. 25, 2008